Canvas Course Before Sync

Jump to solution
ShannonMiller1
Community Member

My district has been using Canvas and PowerSchool integration for a few years now.  Unfortunately, something happened this year and our courses have not been made and have not been populated. We can create a course ourselves and manually add students.  I know that it does not talk to PowerSchool for the time being but someone said that if we do that it will mess things up when our actual Canvas PowerSchool Linked Course is finally officially added.  I am wondering if that is true and if you can speak to that?  I am in dire need of access to Canvas to get my students rolling and allow quarantining students access to our class materials.  What are your thoughts?

Thank you,

Shannon Miller

0 Likes
1 Solution
gpillsbury
Community Contributor

It won't mess anything up except that you'll need to find a way to move any grades that exist in your personal shell into the official Powerschool shell. In theory, you could import the personal shell content into the PS shell using the standard "Import course content" tool in Settings (to capture the activities and resources), and then export the gradebook from the personal shell and import it into the PS shell.  You won't be able to retain things like discussion posts and probably not the submissions from the personal shell, but hopefully the scores will sync up when you do the import.  Good luck!

View solution in original post