Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rajivkamaria

Canvas Equation Questions

Jump to solution

Hello,

I have a few questions on Canvas equations, which are:

- When I create an equation in Canvas, I cannot press 'enter' to go down a line like in the example video provided by my instructor. Rather, I have to either space bar over or create each line as a separate equation. For both, Canvas still marks the answer incorrect, however.
- Additionally, I cannot seem to put a dollar sign in the numerator of an equation. It simply does not let me. 
See attached for what I am talking about. 
Any help would be appreciated!
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
James
Community Champion

@rajivkamaria , 

Your instructor may have been operating in the Advanced View rather than the Basic View. The Advanced View opens up the user to the LaTeX language. It provides access to the symbols and palettes, the same as the Basic View, but it lets you do other things.

281154_pastedImage_2.png

In LaTeX, extra white space is ignored and pressing enter does nothing other than make it more readable. If you need an actual line break in your content, you can use a double backslash \\ at the end of a line. Here's an example in the Advanced View.

281155_pastedImage_3.png

Generally speaking though, Canvas is easier if you use a separate equation for each object and do not try to split lines up manually. In other words, each of the lines you're typing should be it's own object.

There is a lot of information on the web about LaTeX, just type what you're looking for and add the word latex to it.

To get a dollar sign while you're in the advanced view, you need to escape it with a single backslash \$

281156_pastedImage_4.png

I was able to get a $ in the numerator of a fraction in basic mode by pressing the $ twice in a row. To get it in the denominator, I needed to press a space, then press the $ twice, then type the rest of the denominator.

Note that this is in basic view (it doesn't say basic view, you know you're in basic view when it says switch view to advanced)

281157_pastedImage_5.png

To get what's shown in the basic mode, I typed

$ $ 9 6 3 / space $ $ 3 6 9

Canvas removed the space from the beginning of the $ so it wasn't there in the end.

In advanced view, you still have access to the templates, so you can choose a fraction, but pressing / won't automatically create one.

That same expression looks like this when typed in advanced mode:

\frac{\$963}{\$369}

View solution in original post

1 Reply
James
Community Champion

@rajivkamaria , 

Your instructor may have been operating in the Advanced View rather than the Basic View. The Advanced View opens up the user to the LaTeX language. It provides access to the symbols and palettes, the same as the Basic View, but it lets you do other things.

281154_pastedImage_2.png

In LaTeX, extra white space is ignored and pressing enter does nothing other than make it more readable. If you need an actual line break in your content, you can use a double backslash \\ at the end of a line. Here's an example in the Advanced View.

281155_pastedImage_3.png

Generally speaking though, Canvas is easier if you use a separate equation for each object and do not try to split lines up manually. In other words, each of the lines you're typing should be it's own object.

There is a lot of information on the web about LaTeX, just type what you're looking for and add the word latex to it.

To get a dollar sign while you're in the advanced view, you need to escape it with a single backslash \$

281156_pastedImage_4.png

I was able to get a $ in the numerator of a fraction in basic mode by pressing the $ twice in a row. To get it in the denominator, I needed to press a space, then press the $ twice, then type the rest of the denominator.

Note that this is in basic view (it doesn't say basic view, you know you're in basic view when it says switch view to advanced)

281157_pastedImage_5.png

To get what's shown in the basic mode, I typed

$ $ 9 6 3 / space $ $ 3 6 9

Canvas removed the space from the beginning of the $ so it wasn't there in the end.

In advanced view, you still have access to the templates, so you can choose a fraction, but pressing / won't automatically create one.

That same expression looks like this when typed in advanced mode:

\frac{\$963}{\$369}