Canvas Formula Question: Setting decimal precision

Jump to solution
alexking
Community Novice

Hi all,

I'm currently working on a chemistry course in canvas (migrating from blackboard), and I've hit a bit of a roadblock on Formula type quiz questions.

I need students to calculate solubility from an equation, however the Canvas platform only allows up to 4 decimal places in the answer. This is not precise enough for my needs, as I'm dealing with extremely small values and need 5 digit (preferably 6/7 digit) precision.

Generating solutions gives 80% with the final answer rounded to 0.0003, when in reality there is a world of difference between 0.000266 and 0.000341

The best solution for me would be to be able to set answers as scientific notation with a certain number of significant figures, rather than a certain number of decimal places. That would cover a better range of answers if I have very wide swing in my input variables.

Is there a workaround or solution for this issue?

Thanks

1 Solution
stuart_ryan
Community Novice

Hi  @alexking ,

Alas it seems that your question has stumped the community. From what I have been able to find, there is no way to add additional decimal precision at this time.

Having said that, I think this conundrum is a great candidate for a Feature Idea which you can log in the https://community.canvaslms.com/community/ideas?sr=search&searchId=ca85a45d-1568-47c5-8bcd-38bae2af3...‌ area. I would suggest including very much the same detail you have provided here, as there is a very good business need for requiring the additional decimal precision.

Please feel free to post a link back to the idea here once you have logged it, as that will help others find it in the future.

Hope that helps!

Stuart

View solution in original post