Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jschaffer
Community Champion

Canvas Mobile App

Jump to solution

Hello All, 

I wanted to see if anyone had any insight to a few questions our school had about the mobile app for students.  Right now, we are looking to see the following:

1. How many students have downloaded it?

2. Is there a way to track who is currently using it and how often?

3. What data is available for this in Canvas?

I have searched around and as far as I can tell #2 and #3 are going to be hit or miss.  Since the Canvas App works off the API it is hard to track what a user has done in the app and where they have gone.  Additionally, it seems that the User Page Views CSV tracks data for app usage as an "Unrecognized Browser".  Are both of these assumptions accurate?  What would be the best way to approach these topics?  

I appreciate the help as always.  

Regards, 

Jason Schaffer 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rseilham
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi, Jason Schaffer‌ - 

Let me see if I can get you a little more information on your questions. 

This stat is not available to individual institutions. I don't even know if they track it. As for all users of Canvas, this number is around 9 million lifetime downloads as of March this year.  The majority being iOS. 

I don't know of any way to track native mobile users through the API. We can tell the number of mobile web users through Google Analytics, but not the native app. The only way to track users of the app is through Canvas Data. Here is a presentation I did last year that has more information about Canvas Data for the mobile apps: 

Using Canvas Data with Canvas Mobile Apps

Through Canvas Data, we have access to quite a bit of information. This includes a total number of users, unique users, how times tools are accessed and by how many users, and much more. 

I'm not a Canvas Data expert, so I rely on our Canvas Admins and Database Analyst to help me pour through the data, but it's there. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

jschaffer, greetings, I'm going to share this with the https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/cmug?sr=search&searchId=2484e5ec-85ed-4ecb-9857-6f640afd20f8&...‌ group in the Community to see if they can help answer your questions!

rseilham
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi, Jason Schaffer‌ - 

Let me see if I can get you a little more information on your questions. 

This stat is not available to individual institutions. I don't even know if they track it. As for all users of Canvas, this number is around 9 million lifetime downloads as of March this year.  The majority being iOS. 

I don't know of any way to track native mobile users through the API. We can tell the number of mobile web users through Google Analytics, but not the native app. The only way to track users of the app is through Canvas Data. Here is a presentation I did last year that has more information about Canvas Data for the mobile apps: 

Using Canvas Data with Canvas Mobile Apps

Through Canvas Data, we have access to quite a bit of information. This includes a total number of users, unique users, how times tools are accessed and by how many users, and much more. 

I'm not a Canvas Data expert, so I rely on our Canvas Admins and Database Analyst to help me pour through the data, but it's there. 

View solution in original post

jschaffer
Community Champion

@rseilham ‌,

Sorry for the delay but this was awesome.  It is the best solution to a tricky problem.  I appreciate the help. 

Jason Schaffer