cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jbieber
Community Participant

Canvas + Seesaw

Jump to solution

I would love to hear from others that are using Canvas + Seesaw in the elementary setting (PK-5).

Thank you in advance!

3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Looking for best practices in setting up K-2 modules, with or without SeeSaw. Any suggestions?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
jbieber
Community Participant

I have found a way to embed Seesaw into Canvas so the students don't have to leave Canvas while completing an activity on Seesaw. Let me know if you would like to see the process. Thanks!

jbieber
Community Participant

Here is the Screenshot of how we added it as an app.

Here is what it looks like for us - Screenshot 2

61 Replies
misty_hall
Community Member

I've been thinking about this as well.   I love Seesaw and think I would send students there for some of their activities or maybe to use the draw space (one of my favorite features.).  They don't talk to one another that I can find, but I can see Canvas housing core instruction with maybe a practice/activity taking place in Seesaw.  Teachers would link Seesaw from their Canvas page/module to direct them.  

Looking for best practices in setting up K-2 modules, with or without SeeSaw. Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
bbennett2
Community Champion

I'm curious why you're trying to use both.

We have Seesaw for grades K-6 and Canvas for 7-12. The tools available in Seesaw really allow us to tailor instruction for those early ages without having to configure different addons or apps. The elementary experience really focuses on feedback over grades through Seesaw, which is an added benefit for students building skill and confidence.

Is there something else Seesaw doesn't do that you're using Canvas to supplement? We learned early on that Canvas, particularly for the K-2 age, is just overwhelming, which led us to Seesaw.

guiffrtm
Community Member

We're required to start using Canvas this fall. Some of the 1st graders already use SeeSaw. So if K-2 teachers post activities, links, etc. in Canvas, then the parents would be able to view and assist the students. Open to suggestions!

chillman
Community Participant

Seesaw and Canvas do not work well together by just adding the link.  It is not as intuitive or simple as that. When you add the link, it goes to the teachers side of the activities and not to the student side.  The only way I have found this to work is if you link directly to the assigned activity or use the redirect tool in navigation that just takes you to the general Seesaw page.  I am curious on how this works on the iPads as well, as you have to use the iOS app for Seesaw and can't use the browser on a mobile device.

chillman
Community Participant

The format of full distance teaching isn't supported as strongly in Seesaw as it is in Canvas.  Seesaw is purely activity based and not any instruction.  Being from a distance full time, using only Seesaw makes it difficult to actually teach new content so having the actual content instruction being in Canvas and then having Seesaw integrated into Canvas for the activity part of the lesson would make a full lesson much better.

hbarloon
Community Member

My first graders use Seesaw from the time they start school in Preschool or Kdg. By the time they get to me they are pretty good at navigating. When we started distance learning, we began using Canvas so we had the instruction piece. Can’t these two platforms be more compatible so our littler learners can still use what is familiar to them AND get the benefits of Canvas?

jbieber
Community Participant

I have found a way to embed Seesaw into Canvas so the students don't have to leave Canvas while completing an activity on Seesaw. Let me know if you would like to see the process. Thanks!

jbieber
Community Participant

We are in the same boat - required to use Canvas this fall and still using Seesaw. I have found a way to embed Seesaw within Canvas if you would like. We are excited about it.