cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
matthew_dunham
Community Member

Canvas Student App Assignment Submission Issues

Jump to solution

My students are not being able to submit images via the Canvas Student App on their phones.  We have been using it for 2 weeks, and began having issues Tuesday (8/21).  They are still able to submit images via a device like a Chromebook, but are receiving errors when they use the app by taking a picture of their assignment.  Attached are the error messages coming up.  Any guidance to correct this issue would be appreciated!  canvasstudentapp

21 Replies
rseilham
Community Coach
Community Coach

Are these issues both Android and iOS? Or just one of these? 

bbennett2
Community Champion

We're on iOS. It seems to be during compression. I tried several methods with a student yesterday but couldn't get the submission to work through the app. I finally went through Safari and was able to submit.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @matthew_dunham ...

I am reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I stumbled upon your question.  I thought that I would check in with you.  I realize there are still conversations occurring with this topic (which is totally cool, by the way), but I wanted to check in with you to see if your original question has been resolved?  In looking through this thread, it looks like  @Renee_Carney ‌ had mentioned back in January 2019 that this had been resolved.  Also,  @rseilham  had checked in with you later that month, too.  We are hopeful that you've been able to find a resolution to your original question.  If you feel that one of the above responses has helped to answer your question, please feel free to click on the "Mark Correct" button next to that person's response.  However, if you are still looking for some help with this question, please let us know that as well by posting a note below letting Community members know how we can help you out.  For the time being, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered", but that will not prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's okay with you, Matt.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

jms2163
Community Member

I am unable to submit assignments through Student Canvas as well (iOS - latest update).

iPad: "Failed to Send Files! Something went wrong with uploading files." Notification window pops up in attempt to submit marked up pdf or a photo.

iPhone: There is no message upon "submitting the assignment" either an error or acknowledgment. I have tried through wifi and cell data, but the submission just does not go through.

Bobby2
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @jms2163 , thanks for adding to this discussion.

Looks like you've tried all the right things to solve your challenge.

May I ask that you contact Canvas Support through the Help menu in the app. OR use the Help menu is the browser if the mobile option isn't available to you. 

May you find a resolution soon. 

elflynn
Community Participant

Hello, still having this problem! Seems Canvas could have worked this bug out by now, especially with the giant uptick of online submissions during COVID-19. Is this being worked on and fixed for good?

Thank you!

Hi Elizabeth Flynn‌,

This issue seems to be reasonably rare, but if it pops up even once, it can be a big issue. There have been two major app updates in the last couple of weeks for version 6.7 and 6.8. Can you update the app to 6.8 and see if the issue still persists. 

If the update doesn't work, my only suggestion is to report the issue to Canvas through the app using Report a Problem.

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-11853-71156771520 

elflynn
Community Participant

Hi,

I actually don't have the app, it's my students who are having the problem.

Can you please send instructions on how to update the app for them?

Thanks!

elflynn
Community Participant

And the other day it wasn't rare... it happened for ~30/100 students for one quiz.

Did the quiz require a file upload? The original request is for assignment submissions. I just want to make sure. Thanks.