Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dhardiman
Community Participant

Canvas Usage Report

Jump to solution

Hello,

At our institution, all instructors are required to attach their Syllabus on the Syllabus page and create assignments in order to record grades in the grade book.  Does anyone know of a report which can tell us if these tasks are being done in Canvas?  (If not Y or N then some indicator that there is content under Syllabus and Grades in the grade book.)

For Example:

255743_pastedImage_1.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lawd
Community Participant

The best way to go about something like this would be to use Canvas Data to mine this information; unfortunately it doesn't appear that Canvas Data contains data about course syllabi from what I can see.

So it looks like the best option will be to use the api to mine this. The endpoint at /api/v1/courses/<courseid>?include=syllabus_body has a json key of "syllabus_body" which will contain the data I believe you are looking for. My suggestion would be to build a daily routine to loop through all of your current courses and store the data from this endpoint into a database. Then you can quickly query which courses are not meeting a certain institutional expectation.

I have built a handful of these sort of routines, so if you or your development team have any questions about how we handle these types of things let me know.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@dhardiman ‌, there isn’t anything I can think of on the front end of Canvas that would get you this information. Yet, I believe the information is there and could be accessed using the API or Canvas Data. This is beyond my area of expertise so I’m going to share your question with the Canvas Developers‌ and https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/admins?sr=search&searchId=9ed11610-d9f1-48fc-9ee3-7d073eeb69c... groups to see if they can help. 

dhardiman
Community Participant

Thank you.

On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 7:49 AM, kona@richland.edu <instructure@jiveon.com>

lawd
Community Participant

The best way to go about something like this would be to use Canvas Data to mine this information; unfortunately it doesn't appear that Canvas Data contains data about course syllabi from what I can see.

So it looks like the best option will be to use the api to mine this. The endpoint at /api/v1/courses/<courseid>?include=syllabus_body has a json key of "syllabus_body" which will contain the data I believe you are looking for. My suggestion would be to build a daily routine to loop through all of your current courses and store the data from this endpoint into a database. Then you can quickly query which courses are not meeting a certain institutional expectation.

I have built a handful of these sort of routines, so if you or your development team have any questions about how we handle these types of things let me know.

View solution in original post

dhardiman
Community Participant

Thank you so much.

On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 9:49 AM, lawd@hutchcc.edu <instructure@jiveon.com>

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @dhardiman ...

As I was reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, I came across your question.  I wanted to check in with you because I noticed there hasn't been any new activity in this thread since October 12th.  It looks like you've gotten some help from  @kona  and  @lawd .  Did either of their responses help to answer your question?  Or, are you still looking for some assistance from members of the Community?  If you feel that one of the above responses has helped to answer your question, please go ahead and mark it as "Correct".  However, if you are still looking for some help, please post a message below so that Community members might be able to help you out.  I'm going to go ahead and mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because there hasn't been any new activity in this thread for over four months, but that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below.  I hope that's alright with you, Denise.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

dhardiman
Community Participant

We are good to go. Thanks.