Canvas accessing my microphone and webcam

Jump to solution
beverly_owen
Community Novice

How do allow canvas to access my microphone and webcam?

6 Solutions
Bobby2
Community Champion

HI  @beverly_owen  Thank You for your question.

It depends a little on which application you are needing to give access for. However, generally most tools are very similar and request to allow camera and audio before they start filming. 

Examples will be the record media tool in Canvas, Conferences in Canvas and Teams Meetings. 

Sing out if you need a hand. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes

Hello,

Thank you for responding. I am singing out...

I teach first grade so when I make an assignment in BLEND I would like to record the directions. When I click on the Record/Upload Media button and then the Record button I get the message "Please allow canvas to access your microphone and webcam'. I don't know where/how I can give them permission. Please advice. Thank you.

​Ms. Beverly Owen

1st Grade ESL Teacher

Barrrington Elementary School

Not sure what happened, it shows it on my end. I'm trying it again. Hopefully you see it this time.

​Ms. Beverly Owen

1st Grade ESL Teacher

Barrrington Elementary School

0 Likes
Bobby2
Community Champion

My fault, I needed to open the question completely. Apologies.

Your image shows that you are using Chrome which is great. I've looked in my Account Settings and can't see an option to either turn on or off my computer camera. 

Perhaps try clearing your computers cache and restarting it, and see if that fixes the issue. If none of that works, then I would recommend contacting Canvas Support to see if they can help. To do this click on the Help link and Report a Problem.

Wish I could be more helpful. Please let me know how you get on because this is well worth fixing. It's a tool I wouldn't want to be without. 

jhanson2
Community Member

Hallelujah!  I figured it out.  I had to go into my CHROME settings to figure it out.  While logged into Canvas, look at the top of your browser.  See the 3 little dots at the top right?  Click on them.  Then...click on settings.  This will open up a new browser.  Scroll down until you see "site settings."  Click on it.  It should open up so that you see the Canvas website listed. Click on the arrow to the right to access permissions for Canvas.  You can then ALLOW microphone and camera to be accessed by this website.  TA - DA!  I hope this explanation was clear and helpful.

Jael