cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
masont
Community Member

Canvas and Photo Files with Metadata

Jump to solution

We have some photo teachers who are interested in using Canvas but have encountered a couple of issues.  Some of them use Google Classroom right now and they like the way student submissions go straight to their laptop Google Drive Classroom folder which they can easily access from Adobe Bridge.  (The JPEG/PNG files the students submit have the metadata from Lightroom or Photoshop.)  In Canvas any file submissions for an assignment would have to be downloaded individually.  I found out there are bulk downloads in Canvas for certain file types but not JPEGs or PNGs.  If I'm wrong please let me know.  Anyone have thoughts for them about how to use Canvas with metadata JPEG/PNG files they could bulk download?

Tags (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

All of that is correct! I'm glad that this is a step in the right direction! Smiley Happy

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/9775-download-a-subset-of-assignment-submissions?sr=search&sea...‌ may be what you need to download by section! Please feel free to vote and add to the conversation.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @masont  Thank You for posting your question to the Canvas Community.  I'm super sorry to see that your question has been sitting out here in the Community for just shy of two years without a response.  Not really sure how your question got missed for so long.  It seems as though you may have stumped the Community with your question.  So, I wanted to check in with you to see if you've had any luck in finding a solution on your own since you first posted this question in June 2017.  I realize it's been quite a while, but if you've found a solution that you'd be willing to share back here in the Community with us, that would be great!  But, if you are still looking for some help and assistance with this question, please come back to this topic to provide an update so that someone from the Community might be able to assist you.  For the time being, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered"...not because we've been able to help find an answer for you...but more because there hasn't been any new activity in this topic for such a long time and because we've not heard back from you.  However, this won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, Tim.  Again, apologies for the non-responses, but we members of the Community do look forward to hearing back from you soon.

masont
Community Member

Hi Chris,

Sorry but I have not found an answer!  I've researched this left and right but have not found anything that is adequate.  Thank you for trying to update this.  Can we mark this as unanswered?

Hi Tim!

I just double-checked a few of my students' assignments, and I was able to Bulk Download assignments that were submitted in .jpg! I used to require .pdfs so I could annotate on top of my students' photography (it would also resize to the SpeedGrader/DocViewer window), so I was unaware of this hiccup in 2017! Since the changes to SpeedGrader and the additional support of image files, I've started moving over to .jpgs ...but I never thought to check the bulk-download.

If you have a few minutes, could you take a look at one of the photo courses on your campus?

Kristin   

It works!  Submissions in Canvas (File Upload) are scaled to fit the window in SpeedGrader plus you can zoom in/out as needed which was problematic awhile ago.  A student could also submit multiple files/photos for one submission as most people know.
When I bulk downloaded all of the submissions (JPEGs), it kept the meta data as well.  
The only headache I see is that you can't download by section in Canvas.  It looks like this is a feature request.
On a side note I see that you could bulk download, annotate, and then re-upload the submissions into Canvas again as long as the file name is not changed.

All of that is correct! I'm glad that this is a step in the right direction! Smiley Happy

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/9775-download-a-subset-of-assignment-submissions?sr=search&sea...‌ may be what you need to download by section! Please feel free to vote and add to the conversation.

View solution in original post

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @masont ...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I thought I'd check in with you again.  It's been a couple months since there was any new activity in this topic, and it looks like you and  @klundstrum  have been working through the problem.  Do you feel that your question has been answered?  Did one of Kristin's responses help to answer your question?  If so, please go ahead and mark one of the above responses as "Correct".  For the time being, I am going to re-mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because there hasn't been any new activity since March 28, 2019 ... but that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, Tim.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

masont
Community Member

I will mark this as correct now.  Thank you for following up!