cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tsample
Community Participant

Canvas and Turnitin

Student in a teacher's class is receiving the message:

The assignment hasn't been set up yet. Ask your instructor to configure the assignment then try again.

The teacher has set up the assignment through the external tool and I cannot find anything they did wrong. What does this message mean? Has anyone ever seen this message, or is anyone experiencing this issue with Canvas and Turnitin. 

Tami 

8 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi there,  @tsample ...

I'm not sure if this is still the case or not (it used to be), but after the instructor has set up the assignment with the Turnitin LTI external tool, the instructor would need to preview the assignment with the Turnitin interface.  Then, that message the students were seeing should go away.  I'm going to tag  @dhulsey ‌ in on this reply for his thoughts as well.  He's our resident Turnitin guru an knows quite a bit about it.  He's also got a really great write-up on Turnitin that you might want to look through some time: Canvas and Turnitin‌.  Hope this helps, Tami!

rmurchshafer
Community Coach
Community Coach

+1 on Chris' response.  I've often had the same experience that after setting it up the instructor needs to open the TurnItIn settings and then Save; even if no settings were changed.  It also seems like if you copy a course that has a TurnItIn Assignment you might need to do the same in the new copy of the course.

One thing to think about in the future is it enable TurnItIn using the new Canvas Plagiarism framework.  It is way more simple than setting it up using the External Tool option, and the TurnItIn settings show up right inside of the Assignment Settings.  My experience with this new framework is that the Assignment is then ready to go as soon as you Save and Publish.

Rick

tsample
Community Participant

Thank you so much. Rick, tell me more about this new Canvas Plagiarism

framework? How did I miss this?

Thanks!

Tami T. Flood

Canvas Lead Teacher

Cheltenham High School, X 5038

Google for Education Certified Trainer

EdPuzzle Coach

Newsela Certified Educator

On Thu, Sep 13, 2018 at 10:21 PM dhulsey@nmjc.edu <instructure@jiveon.com>

@tsample ‌,  @chofer ‌ is correct: the teacher must enable the assignment in Turnitin by loading the LTI tool when creating an assignment or copying a class.  @rmurchshafer ‌ raises a good point about the plagiarism framework version of Turnitin. It is simpler, but has fewer features than the LTI version, so it depends on your needs.

tsample
Community Participant

I really appreciate you all for helping. I was banging my head on the wall.

Thank you for your expertise!

Tami T. Flood

Canvas Lead Teacher

EdPuzzle Coach

On Thu, Sep 13, 2018 at 10:26 PM Dallas E Hulsey <instructure@jiveon.com>

Tami,

I'm not finding any great web sites with information about it but here is some information from TurnItIn's release notes page Canvas Plagiarism Framework Release Notes - Guides.turnitin.com 

Generally speaking, Canvas made it easier for plagiarism detection systems to integrate into Canvas.  That page is specific to TurnItIn, but other vendors can also use the new framework for integrations.

I suggest getting in contact with your TurnItIn rep to get more information.  They can give you the run down of differences in the two different integrations and set you on a path to switch over if you want to go that route.  At my school we have both integrations still turned on but assume most will use the new method since it's right in front of them when creating an assignment.

Rick

tsample
Community Participant

Awesome, thank you!

Tami T. Flood

Canvas Lead Teacher

EdPuzzle Coach

On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 9:57 AM rmurchshafer@unomaha.edu <

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@tsample ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie