Canvas and Windows 10

Jump to solution
rbeyers001
Community Novice

How do I download Canvas on my Windows 10 Laptop.

4 Solutions
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @rbeyers001  Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thank you for posting your question.  I'm not really sure I understand your question.  Canvas is a web-based product, and so there isn't really anything to "download" in terms of the actual Canvas interface.  You would normally log in to your school's Canvas environment via a web browser (Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox are your best choices here), and then you would access your courses that way.  The only things you might have to download are materials for your course...such as PowerPoint presentations, documents, etc. that might be provided by your instructor (if you are a student).  Otherwise, all other parts of Canvas are readily available to you after you log in.  I briefly looked at your school's website to see if I could find any information for you, and I came across this page: Frequently Asked Questions | Wilmington University.  It looks like there's a lot of great information for you to look through.  I hope it will be of help to you.  Thanks Robert...

View solution in original post

I guess I'm still learning the differences between a cell phone app to call canvas and my new PC laptop where you have a browser to bring up to access the internet. I guess I was thinking how would I get the app for my laptop so I could just click on it and bring up canvas, like the cell phone. My last PC was windows XP. But I have this new one with win10 and it looks so much like a cell phone screen, well, thats what I was thinking.

Thanks for the replly.

Hello  @rbeyers001 ...

Ah!  Thank you for the additional explanation.  That makes more sense now.  To my knowledge, there is no Canvas app for you to download on your Windows 10 laptop.  Just download either the Mozilla Firefox or the Google Chrome web browser (I prefer Chrome) to your laptop, and then sign in to Canvas using your school's Canvas URL.  Which browsers does Canvas support?‌ and What are the basic computer specifications for Canvas?

And, if you don't have the mobile app installed on your phone yet, here are a few additional Guides for you:

Let us know if you have other questions about this, Robert...thanks!

0 Likes
benprytherch
Community Explorer

Seconding sbridge's post, us Windows users need either:

a) An app version, not in a brower, or
b) A functional freehand annotating tool in speed grader that works in a browser.  The current one simply does not work.  Every time you make a mark, a box comes up with a save/delete option, making it *impossible* (not difficult, impossible) to write.  The "workaround" is to hold down a the mouseclick button on the pen, which means that the pen cannot be lifted.  

I'm using a Wacom One tablet.  Again, the problem is not that the freehand annotation too in the web broswer simply doesn't work as well on on an iPad.  It is that it utterly unusable.