cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tbaker1
Community Member

Canvas has been up and down now for several weeks

Jump to solution

What is causing canvas to go down sporadically?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kblack
Community Champion

@tbaker1  and  @erika_carta  - According to Canvas Status there have indeed been issues related to file uploads not working for some institutions that should have been resolved, according to that site. (Scroll down a bit on the main page to check the past incidents this week.)  You may want to check in with your respective Canvas administrators, however, if you still find the issue recurring, since it should definitely be reported in to them.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
erika_carta
Community Participant

Apparently, when TA's are uploading gradebook or assignments, there are errors occurring that indicate "Oops your upload is unsuccessful"  but yet it seems to upload if you repeat and in some cases, it still updates even when it reads the error.  would this all be due Canvas being up and down this week?

kblack
Community Champion

@tbaker1  and  @erika_carta  - According to Canvas Status there have indeed been issues related to file uploads not working for some institutions that should have been resolved, according to that site. (Scroll down a bit on the main page to check the past incidents this week.)  You may want to check in with your respective Canvas administrators, however, if you still find the issue recurring, since it should definitely be reported in to them.

View solution in original post

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @tbaker1 ...

I will also add my $0.02 here.  You didn't specify if the "Files" area of your course was the part of Canvas giving you issues, so I'll just assume that you've been having overall difficulties accessing Canvas.  Please keep in mind that there could be a number of possibilities if you are having troubles accessing Canvas (if it seems to be up/down as you've described).  Here are some possibilities:

• If you are at home, it could be an issue with your ISP (Internet Service Provider).  Are you able to access other non-Canvas websites fine when Canvas appears to be down?
  • If you are using a free wi-fi hotspot in a café or coffee house, is their internet working/reliable?
  • If you are at school, have there been any issues with their Internet Service Provider?  Have you spoken with your school's IT department about any Internet performance issues?
  • Other servers...  There are many other servers that get hit between wherever you are trying to log in and Canvas.  For example, I see that your school is in Oklahoma.  There may be other servers that are being hit between your school and Canvas that neither your school or Canvas own.  If that "in-between" server goes down, then it may be possible that Canvas couldn't connect properly.  You're at the mercy of the owner of that server to get it fixed.  (This used to happen from time to time with our previous LMS.)
  •  @kblack ‌ has given you a great website, the Canvas Status page.  That's always a great reference as well.

I hope this extra bit of information will be helpful to you, William.

James
Community Champion

@tbaker1 ,

You mentioned uploading gradebooks ... are you talking about the "Oops! The last request didn't work out." message? I'm unable to find "your upload" in the source code, but I have seen this error flash up before.

295977_pastedImage_2.png

I have been seeing that at least several weeks whenever I import a gradebook. After it shows me the changes and I click Save Changes, this pops on the screen for a fraction of a second. Then it disappears and the import goes ahead and works.

The "Development Only" message makes it sound like it was something that was put in for debugginer purposes and somebody forgot to take it out.

I don't think it has anything to do bad internet connections. It's too consistently repeatable with different browsers on different machines from different logoio. It appears to be coming from the ajax_errors.js file and is part of the error function that displays when "something bad happens in ajax." (I took that quote from the source code). The "Development Only" is indeed shown only when the debugOnly is set to true.

My question is whether there really is an error other than showing the message?