cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jrdaniels6226
Community Member

Canvas iOS App Not Loading

I was using the canvas app perfectly fine, and then one fateful day when I went to click on the app to launch, it showed the loading screen with the canvas logo and then booted me back to the home screen seconds later. It's been doing this ever since early February, I have gone through 2 updates to the app hoping there would be an update eventually to fix this, but it still remains a problem. I have deleted and re downloaded the app many times, as well as restarted my phone, but it still won't let me past the loading screen. Any suggestions would be helpful. I have an iPhone 6 running iOS 9.3

Tags (2)
24 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @jrdaniels6226 ​...

It looks like iOS 9.3 was recently released for download, yes?  If so, I will go ahead and upgrade to that and then test my own Canvas app to see if there are any issues.  I wonder if Instructure has yet to update their app to work better with iOS 9.3?  Or, have you tried soft-resetting your iPhone?  To do this, just hold down the Home button and the power button until you see the white Apple logo on your screen...then release both buttons.  Let the iPhone boot up normally.  You won't lose any data on the phone...it just kind of restores your phone to a state where things should work more smoothly.  I'll come back here later tonight after updating and let you know what I find out.

@chofer  Yes iOS 9.3 was released just today. But this was occurring during iOS 9.2 as well. As I said, it's been happening for over a month now. I just now tried the soft-reset and it didn't work, the app still won't load past the logo screen.

Hi  @jrdaniels6226 ​...

I just finished upgrading my iPhone 6 Plus to iOS 9.3, and I don't have any problems accessing my Canvas content.  I even logged out of the app, killed the app (by double-tapping on the Home button and swiping up on the app to stop the process), and then I re-started the app...signing in again.  I was able to find our school and sign in via our CAS single sign-on login screen to get to my Canvas content.

I would recommend that you contact Instructure's Help Desk staff about this issue.  I'm not sure why you wouldn't be able to log in, and I think they would be the best ones to help you with this situation.

@chofer ​ It's not about logging in issues, its that the log in screen won't even load all I see is the loading logo from launching the app and then it crashes. Nonetheless, how would I contact the Help Desk? Is there a support email of some kind?

Hi  @jrdaniels6226 ​...

What version of the Canvas app to you have on your phone?  I see that there is a brand new release today...version 3.13.0 where the release notes say, "Better support for modules and multiple grading periods and bug fixes."  Have you installed this update yet?

As for contacting tech support, you will probably need to log in to your Canvas site via the web.  Then, once logged in, there will be a "Help" icon at the top right corner of the screen (or it will be at the bottom left corner if your school has switched over to the new User Interface).  After clicking on "Help", you'll get a pop-up window with some options...one of which is "Report a Problem".  Select that option, and then fill out the form.  The Help Desk staff will follow-up with you to help troubleshoot the issue with your iPhone and the Canvas app.

Hope this helps!

@chofer ​ Yes I updated to the new version today, it didn't change anything sadly. I'll contact that support then, thanks for helping!

Hi  @jrdaniels6226 ​...

If you get a resolution after talking with the Help Desk staff, please come back here to post what you've found so that others can read how the issue was resolved...thanks!

kkr255
Community Participant

Our students who upgraded to iOs 9.3 are no longer able to download any files off the Canvas app to use in other apps.  Have you successfully downloaded any files from within the Canvas app since your upgrade?

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello kkr255​...

Can you please give me an example of how you have files available to your students in a course?  Are students accessing various files from the "Files" area of a course?  Are the files first being uploaded to "Files" and then linked within a Content Page within a course?  Or, is the file listed as an item in a module when you click on the "Modules" button in your course?  Also, what kinds of files are they?  MS Word docs?  PDFs?  I'd like to try testing on my own iPad/iPhone to see if I can reproduce what you are seeing.  Thanks.