Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
henry_ozsoy
Community Participant

Canvas logs out of account each time the app is updated

Jump to solution

Hello Everyone,

We are a K-12 school with a one to one iPad program. Each student has the canvas app installed on their iPad. Due to the student being young from K-2 we login on their accounts for them to assist. The student is signed into Canvas using ADFS version 4 which is integrated with their AD accounts. This is to provide SSO.  Here is the challenge, every time the app hits an update the student credentials are signed out, meaning we have to go to each iPad and sign in on behalf of the young students. This, as you can imagine, becomes quite an issue in regards to consistency and productivity. Is this an issue with our environment or can it be resolved through Canvas or is it something we can troubleshoot through and resolve?

Thanks,

Henry

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
henry_ozsoy
Community Participant

Hi Ryan,

so after speaking with Canvas support, we have found out that this is done by design, presumably so the updates actually take effect.

With some digging, we came across this discussion,

https://community.canvaslms.com/message/88759-re-can-logging-in-be-simplified-for-younger-students?c...

I think I might put in a feature request to have the ability to sign in to the app via QR code for younger students ease. 

View solution in original post

6 Replies
rseilham
Community Coach
Community Coach

@henry_ozsoy ‌, 

This only happens when the Canvas Student app has an update, correct? It doesn't happen at any other time? 

I'll also ping Canvas Admins‌ since they'll have more experience with SSO. 

henry_ozsoy
Community Participant

Hi Ryan,

Yes, this only happens when the Canvas Student app has an update.

Are the apps managed through MDM or are the updates installed manually on the device? 

rseilham
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @henry_ozsoy ‌, 

I wanted to follow up to see if you were able to figure this out or had any additional info. 

henry_ozsoy
Community Participant

Hello Ryan,

the app is managed by MDM and I have turned off Canvas student to auto-update via MDM to avoid this reoccurring issue. Also, I haven't found a solution to this issue yet nor had any additional info.

henry_ozsoy
Community Participant

Hi Ryan,

so after speaking with Canvas support, we have found out that this is done by design, presumably so the updates actually take effect.

With some digging, we came across this discussion,

https://community.canvaslms.com/message/88759-re-can-logging-in-be-simplified-for-younger-students?c...

I think I might put in a feature request to have the ability to sign in to the app via QR code for younger students ease. 

View solution in original post