cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
graham_gay
Community Member

Canvas observer create new user

The Canvas observer facility;

My institution is unable to set up online registration. So there is no way of creating a new user online. Canvas helps states this is possible by the institution?

The institution has since set me up as a user and sent email with password attached.

I can log in using a PC and the canvas login page, I can't change the password given by the school?

I can't log into the Canvas App I get the error "The email and password combination was invalid" displayed when I try to login via the canvas observer (Parent) using the App.

Overall frustration prevails, As the institution kept telling me for weeks, that I should create a new user using the canvas App, but hadn't and can't enable this feature? Perhaps if you send me the details of how to enable this feature I can pass them onto the institution to assist them?

5 Replies
rmurchshafer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Graham,

I'm sorry you are having issues with this.  I was playing around with the Parent app the other day and one thing that I noticed is that in order to log into the Parent app you need to have an account, AND be enrolled in at least one class as an observer.  When you log in to the web interface do you see any courses listed?  If not that might be part of the problem and if you pass along to your school admins to add you to a course as an Observer it might fix it.

Rick

graham_gay
Community Member

To be honest the whole experience is extremely frustrating.

I get redirected to use a Microsoft login with the app. Which is the one that I have been given by the school. It doesn’t work. I have a Microsoft login for personal Microsoft account and that doesn’t work either.

The answer you have given does not assist in any way, and yes the web based PC login I am an observer at about 5 of my son's classes and I receive emails on assessment etc…..

The App still does not work. I don’t understand the redirect to Microsoft logins…

So to me the app is useless, as I can’t login even after being set up by the school….

Graham,

I'm sorry that my reply was not useful.  There are a lot of different configurations that come in to play with each school's instance of Canvas so when you ask a question in a community forum like this there is only so much we can do to attempt an answer.  I suggest you contact Canvas support to see if they might be able to provide additional assistance as they will have more access to the instance of Canvas you are using.  Since you are able to log into Canvas through the web, click the Help button on the left side and then use the Report a Problem link to describe the issue.  

Rick

Hi  @graham_gay  - 

I, too, am sorry to hear that you are so frustrated with Canvas Parent. It's a great resource, but it can only be so if/when users can log in. I understand your point. The redirect to the Microsoft log-ins is very interesting, and unfortunately, I don't have any experiencing logging-in to Canvas Parent with those credentials. 

As  @rmurchshafer  explained perfectly, the Canvas Community is where users from all over the world come together to collaborate and discuss Canvas features. However, because institutions leverage tools, features, and roles differently, sometimes the best place to seek assistance is your local Canvas Support team.

You mentioned that the school gave you a password, but if it's not working and reporting a problem via the Canvas Parent app (How do I get help with the Canvas Parent app on my iOS device?‌ or How do I remove a student in the Canvas Parent app on my Android device?‌), I encourage you to set up an appointment and work with your institution or district's Canvas Administrator or technology team face-to-face. I've worked with a number of families in this fashion at my school, and communication is so much easier when the problem solving can happen with immediate feedback. I'm sure they can help you! And if they get stumped, they can always reach out to the next level of Canvas Support that's available to them.

Don't give up on the app! It's a great resource. Hopefully, your log-in issues can be resolved soon. Once they are, it would be awesome to hear about the solution. That way, we can all learn from your experience, and if anyone else receives the error in the future, the Canvas Community would have a great starting place for a discussion.

klundstrum
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @graham_gay -  I know we are several months into the next school year, but I'm wondering how things are going for you! Were you able to find a solution for your unique log-in issue?