Canvas teacher--speedgrader does not work on a tablet (my ipencil just pushes the pdf around vs writing on it)

Jump to solution
brigitte_lavoie
Community Novice

I am looking for help with 2 things:

1. Speedgrading on a tablet using an ipencil (so I can write on the pdf directly using a "pen"):  currently, when I access a pdf assignment, my ipencil just pushes the paper around, rather than writing on it, defeating the entire purpose of the speedgrader and electronic submission.  Instead I have to download the zip of all the assignments, import them into a pdf reader/annotator, grade/annotate with my ipencil (which is great), and then reupload.  Inefficient.

2. Seeing the gradebook in the teacher app:  I see that others want this too and I want to add my voice that seeing the gradebook is a basic task we need for instance to assess grades that our TAs have added to flag issues we need to review.  Or I would want to post grades (that were previously hidden) when all my TAs have finished grading.

Granted on a phone the gradebook would be awkward,  but on an 8X10"  tablet surface, it is as good as a laptop so please, add this functionality.  At least let me download the gradebook into excel and I can work from there. 

Bri Lavoie

1 Solution
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi -

When you first open SpeedGrader in the Canvas Teacher app, the Apple Pencil acts almost like a mouse, yes. You zoom in, but then the Pencil moves the page. However, once I tap the tool at the top of the screen I'd like to use, it works fine. If you tap the "brush" for example, it should change the Pencil's function so you can write. If that's not the case, let the Community know.

I think you bring up some good points about grading, too. Have you seen https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/14569-grades-in-the-teacher-app" modifiedtitle="true" style="b...? I think it would be awesome for you to vote and to add your comments to the discussion. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes