Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
audrey_p
Community Member

Change Canvas Community username

Jump to solution

Hi, 

How do I change how my Canvas Community username is displayed? I saw this answer https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Canvas-Question-Forum/Change-Canvas-Community-username/m-p/111059... but it's old and I do not know how to direct message them. I was not sure if it's better to reply on that page or to create a new question. I could also email the Canvas Support team but it seemed like I should try here first. And I believe a co-worker is in the same boat as me on wanting to change theirs, too. 

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi again, @audrey_p ...

That's interesting.  My view looks slightly different than yours:

MySettings.jpg

I wonder if that is because I am a Community Coach and have some additional privileges that general Community members may not have.  I'll reach out to the Community Managers here to see if they can work with you on getting your Username changed. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, @audrey_p ...

The resources in that particular thread were from 2019 when the Canvas Community platform was utilizing a different interface.  Last Summer 2020, the Community site transitioned to the platform that you see today.  So, those directions are not valid from 2019.  When you are logged into the Community, you can click on your avatar image at the top right corner of the screen, and then click on "My settings".  On the next screen, the words "Personal" and "Username" should have a thin red line under them.  Do you see a box to change your "Username"?  Please see What are the Canvas Community guidelines? for additional information (in particular, the "Be you" section).

Please let Community members know if you have any other questions about this...thanks!

audrey_p
Community Member

Thanks @chofer! Which tab should those fields be in?

When I go to "My settings" I looked at each tab but do not see a "Personal" or "Username" field. I'm attaching what I think is the most relevant tab it could be in, the "Personal Information" one. 

Hi again, @audrey_p ...

That's interesting.  My view looks slightly different than yours:

MySettings.jpg

I wonder if that is because I am a Community Coach and have some additional privileges that general Community members may not have.  I'll reach out to the Community Managers here to see if they can work with you on getting your Username changed. 

View solution in original post