cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Brian_Renshaw
Community Participant

Change Inherited Role

Jump to solution

Is there a way to change the inherited role of a particular role in Canvas. Currently we created a role that is inherited by the TA role but regrettably the Canvas iOS app does not allow the TA role to post announcements through the app (even though they can in the web browser).

I would like to switch the inheritance of this custom role to the Teacher so this custom role can post announcements. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

I believe the only way to do this is to recreate the role and base it on the teacher permissions, not TA. I don't think there is a way to switch this from one to the other. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

I believe the only way to do this is to recreate the role and base it on the teacher permissions, not TA. I don't think there is a way to switch this from one to the other. 

View solution in original post

abunag
Community Champion

My testing a few months ago supports this.  I had to recreate the role I was moving.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Thanks for the confirmation! I know we've messed around with it in the past, but it had been a while!

Brian_Renshaw
Community Participant

I'm assuming that if you delete/recreate role with the same name you have to go through and add that role to all users in every class again?

Yes, because as far as Canvas is concerned, it's a new role.  I'd suggest if you do this, you rename the old role, otherwise it's nearly impossible to tell them apart in the people list.