cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jppepper
Community Member

Change in Viewing Past Grades

Jump to solution

Today, we noticed that students can not longer view the grades in their past courses. I realized that if I un-checked the "Users can only participate in the course between these dates" box in the section, then the grades are visible again.

My concern/question is:

1. Having this box checked has never been an issue in the past, as far as viewing grades in completed courses.

2. Checking this box is necessary, because students do not need access to exams, assignments, etc after their completion date has passed.

Is this a recent change Canvas has made, and is there a workaround?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

I can see where that can be confusing and I have to admit I never really paid much attention to the pull down with the different courses listed. And yes, the concluded course I was in as a student did not match the name that showed up in the course drop-down list. Yet, it still appears that the grades are for the course listed on the top left (in this case CS 105) and not in the course drop-down list (IT 273 - Managing Windows).

CourseNotMatch.png

To double-check this I just compared grades in a concluded course from a student's point of view and then from the Instructor side of view and they are the exact same.

This is what I can see when logged in as a student to one of their concluded courses (CS 105). Notice the 2013 due dates and the grades I've got boxed in green.

Grades_Student.png

Below is the Instructor view of the gradebook for the same concluded course (CS 105). The green box is for the same student as above. Notice the final course grade and category grades are the exact same for the student as it is for the Instructor (which are the final/real course grades).

Grades_Instructor.png

Based on this, it appears to me that the grades students are seeing for their concluded courses are in fact the grades for their concluded courses. Can you try to replicate what I did with one of your students/concluded courses and see if it matches?

View solution in original post

6 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@jppepper , I just checked and our students ARE able to see their grades for previous (concluded) courses where the "Users can only participate in the course between these dates" box IS checked. So on the high side this means it definitely is possible for students to see their grades when the "Users can only participate in the course between these dates" box is checked. On the low side, having this box checked does NOT prevent students from seeing quizzes, assignments, etc after their course completion date has passed.

What prevents students from seeing/accessing quizzes, assignments, etc after the end of the course are the following Admin settings (two of which can have the option of being controlled at the course level).

AdminSettings.png

If you have the "Restrict student from viewing courses after end date" box checked at the admin or course level then you are correct that students will NOT be able to see their grades or ANYTHING from their concluded courses. The entire course will be unavailable to the student. If you have the "Restrict student from viewing quiz questions after course end date" box checked then students will be able to see their grades and access assignments, course content, etc, the only thing they WILL NOT be able to access is quiz questions/answer.

Back to your original question, problem, my question is whether you have the "Restrict students from viewing courses after end date" box checked at the Institutional or course level. If so, then that's the problem with why students can't see their grades. If you don't have this box checked then my suggestion would be to make sure students know that they can't view their course grades for concluded courses through the global "Grades" link. They student would need to go to "View all or Customize" (under courses), go to their concluded courses and select their course, and then click on Grades from within their concluded course.

Hope this helps!

jppepper
Community Member

Thank you for your quick reply. I realized I was not 100% clear. Students are allowed to see their past courses, just not make any new submissions after their completion date. Currently, the student can choose a completed course from their course list, and can see everything, but when they click on grades, the drop-down menu only contains their current courses.  Does this clarify?  We have not changed any settings at a course or admin level, and this is the first time this has been an issue. 

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

We've been using Canvas for 2+ years and as far back as I can remember when courses are concluded the link to the concluded course is removed from the Grades (global) dropdown (red box below). Students can still see their grades, then just need to go into their course and click on the Grades navigation link on the left (green box below). I just tested this for a concluded course (from fall 2013) and as a student I couldn't see the link to grades from the Grades global navigation (red box; I could only see current courses), but by clicking on Courses & Groups, "View all or Customize," I could select select the concluded course, and then click on the "Grades" navigational link (green box) to see all grades from the course. Does this help?

GradesExample.png

jppepper
Community Member

When I do that, the course I am in, and the gradebook do not add up. It appears to be the same way in the image you posted.

Canvas 1.png

And when I click on the drop down, only the current courses are available. Does that make sense?

Canvas 2.png

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

I can see where that can be confusing and I have to admit I never really paid much attention to the pull down with the different courses listed. And yes, the concluded course I was in as a student did not match the name that showed up in the course drop-down list. Yet, it still appears that the grades are for the course listed on the top left (in this case CS 105) and not in the course drop-down list (IT 273 - Managing Windows).

CourseNotMatch.png

To double-check this I just compared grades in a concluded course from a student's point of view and then from the Instructor side of view and they are the exact same.

This is what I can see when logged in as a student to one of their concluded courses (CS 105). Notice the 2013 due dates and the grades I've got boxed in green.

Grades_Student.png

Below is the Instructor view of the gradebook for the same concluded course (CS 105). The green box is for the same student as above. Notice the final course grade and category grades are the exact same for the student as it is for the Instructor (which are the final/real course grades).

Grades_Instructor.png

Based on this, it appears to me that the grades students are seeing for their concluded courses are in fact the grades for their concluded courses. Can you try to replicate what I did with one of your students/concluded courses and see if it matches?

View solution in original post

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@jppepper  , we haven't heard back from you in a while.  @kona  has done some superb troubleshooting on this, and I'm marking her last answer with the "Correct Answer" designation. Nevertheless, the discussion remains open for participation, so feel free to provide additional commentary.