cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jlanoue
Community Member

Change the SIS ID of a Deleted Course?

Jump to solution

Is there a way to change the SIS ID of a deleted course? I am creating a new course for which I would like to assign an SIS ID that was used previously on a course that has been deleted. I am receiving an error message that the SIS ID has already been used and am wondering if there is a way to change the SIS ID of the deleted course or another way to get around this issue.

Thanks so much!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
nr2522
Community Champion

Hi, Jenna.

This is untested, but may work, assuming you are an admin. Un-delete the old course using SIS Import to set the status to active. Edit its SIS ID by adding perhaps a punctuation character. You can then use SIS Import to set it back to deleted status.

You can find details on SIS Import at SIS Import Format Documentation - Canvas LMS REST API Documentation (search for courses.csv)

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@jlanoue ​, as this is a task that would fall primarily to a Canvas admin, I've shared your question with the Canvas Admins​ group to enhance its visibility among experts. If you're not already a member of that group, joining is just a few clicks away.

jlanoue
Community Member

Thank you so much, Stefanie!

nr2522
Community Champion

Hi, Jenna.

This is untested, but may work, assuming you are an admin. Un-delete the old course using SIS Import to set the status to active. Edit its SIS ID by adding perhaps a punctuation character. You can then use SIS Import to set it back to deleted status.

You can find details on SIS Import at SIS Import Format Documentation - Canvas LMS REST API Documentation (search for courses.csv)

View solution in original post