cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kbright
Community Member

Change to "ungraded" essay questions in Speedgrader

Jump to solution

When grading exams that had a mix of short answer and M/C, it used to be that in Speedgrader, you would see a horizontal list of the ungraded questions.  This allowed the instructor to move from ungraded question to ungraded question.  This seems to have been replaced with a vertical list shaded in red.  This format provides a link to the ungraded question, but after grading, you have to scroll all the way to the top again. This is very time consuming! What can you tell me about this change?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @kbright  

I have been using Canvas for 6 years, and have never seen a horizontal list of ungraded items. What was added a couple years ago is a horizontal list of all items, and the grader can click on an item to navigate to it................

303624_pastedImage_3.png

What Canvas has always done for items that require manual grading is put a list of those items in the upper left corner in a hideously pink textbox, and these are also links.............

303625_pastedImage_4.png

If you are seeing something different, it might be a customization by your school. Otherwise, you might want to submit a support ticket.

Kelley

View solution in original post

5 Replies
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @kbright  

I have been using Canvas for 6 years, and have never seen a horizontal list of ungraded items. What was added a couple years ago is a horizontal list of all items, and the grader can click on an item to navigate to it................

303624_pastedImage_3.png

What Canvas has always done for items that require manual grading is put a list of those items in the upper left corner in a hideously pink textbox, and these are also links.............

303625_pastedImage_4.png

If you are seeing something different, it might be a customization by your school. Otherwise, you might want to submit a support ticket.

Kelley

View solution in original post

kbright
Community Member

Thanks for the response Kelley! This instructor comes up with odd things, and sometimes it is hard to know what they think “it used to look like”, without real evidence of screen shots. I think I will just go the Help Ticket route.

Kathy Bright

ELearning Faculty Support

Olympic College | Haselwood Library Rm 18

Ph: (360) 475-7772 | Fax: (360) 475-7775

Email: kbright@olympic.edu<mailto:kbright@olympic.edu>

James
Community Champion

I've had a couple people report this to me, thinking that QuizWiz was broke. One of them works at the same institution as  @kbright , so we might be dealing with the same person.

I do have a Canvancement that never made it onto the master list (but was on GitHub) that highlights short answer and multiple fill-in-the-blank questions in red. This broke (not sure when but people contacted me shortly after the Jan 5 update, so it's a likely candidate), as did the box at the bottom of questions to enter points, which is part of QuizWiz. I have updated both of those and added code on the highlighting to use an opacity of 50% if the essay question already has an answer.

Here's an example:

303674_pastedImage_1.png

What the people were telling me is that Canvas used to have a horizontal bar that had gray items (graded) and white items (need graded) and now the entire thing is white.

Here's the same quiz with my script turned off. This is the way that Canvas delivers it.

303675_pastedImage_2.png

What people are referring to is that Canvas used to do this:

View Question

And if you're thinking that sounds familiar, it's because I lifted that image directly from the documentation that last was updated on January 5, 2019. How do I grade quiz questions in SpeedGrader?  In fact, it was the instructor from Kathleen's institution that found that and sent it to me. It was at that point that we finally determined it wasn't my code, but something Canvas was doing.

There's also a bug where if you enter fudge points of 0 to reset the score to the original value, it won't take. That is fixed in the source code, we're just waiting for it to be released.

However, once I click on an item on the list at the top, it stays there as I move through from person to person. When I enter a value, there's no jumping back to the top. My QuizWiz may be keeping it from jumping, I'm not sure.

However, the behavior is different than it was and a recently update certainly changed some other things with quizzes / SpeedGrader. Since the gray background doesn't match the image in the documentation, it's likely this was not intended, and you may want to file a bug report.

sbridge
Community Participant

@kmeeusen @James I am not seeing this option in New Quizzes speed grader....am I missing something?  It is making grading a free response question in the middle of the quiz a nightmare.  Also, do I HAVE to click update grade after grading the free response or will it automatically do so when I move to the next student?  The update grade is way at the bottom of the new quiz.  Way to much scrolling.

James
Community Champion

@sbridge,

I won't be much help as I don't use New Quizzes for any other than answering people's questions in the Community. We don't have it turned on at our institution.

Clicking update grade is necessary with classic quizzes, but you may be able to hit Ctrl+End (Cmd+End on a mac?) to jump to the bottom of the screen.