Change user's default setting for displaying course menu?

Jump to solution
jbielecki
Community Participant

According to Canvas's 2016 production release notes, the "Course Navigation Menu no longer collapses unless it is minimized manually by a Canvas user." That makes sense because apparently new students were having trouble knowing how to start and navigate a course. However, as an instructor who has used Canvas (on a laptop, not a phone) for years and years, I get so frustrated that I have to click to close the menu EVERY SINGLE TIME I open a page. When I set up a new course or update a copied course with due dates for a new semester, I typically have my class calendar in Word open alongside Canvas so that each window is only half the width of the screen. With two windows open, there just isn't enough room on the Canvas screen to see anything if that menu is open. Is there a way I can change my account settings to default to a closed menu?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, @jbielecki ...

Unfortunately, I do not know of any way to keep the course navigation menu in a "closed" state by default when moving from content page to content page in your course.  I'm not sure if this will really help much or not for your setup that you use, but have you tried using the zoom function (Ctrl+ or Ctrl-) within the browser to reduce the size of the content within Canvas?  I'm not certain this would really solve the issue, but I thought I'd throw it out there as an idea for you to try.

View solution in original post