cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mcarlson
Community Participant

Changing assignment type when posting quiz grades to SIS

Jump to solution

I've got a randomized formulaic quiz my students are taking as a homework assignment (they can keep retaking it until they score perfect.)

I consider this homework, yet when posted to SIS it always appears as a "Quiz" category.  Even if I change the category in Powerschool, when I re-post grades it changes the assignment back to a "Quiz" again. 

Yes, I can go into the grade program and change the assignment type to "Homework" in each of  my classes whenever post new grades, but that seems a pretty stupid way for me to perform a work-around...

So, where can I set the assignment type under Quizzes?  (Or am I doing this the wrong way and should be making my randomized formulaic assignments in another part of Canvas other than the "Quiz" section...)

Thanks for the help!   (Haven't seen an answer in a cursory search of the forums...)

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

@mcarlson , for your grade pass back and sync to work correctly, you will need to create assignment groups (ideally, weighted assignment groups) in Canvas that correspond exactly to the assignment categories in PowerSchool. That means if you want a homework quiz to appear in the Homework category in PowerSchool, you need to (1) create an assignment group called Homework in the Canvas Assignments page, and (2) place the homework quiz in that group (along with any other quizzes and assignments you consider "Homework"). This is explained in Instructor Help: Using PowerSchool in Canvas​ , and How do I add an assignment group in a course? and How do I weight the final course grade based on assignment groups? should help you get it set up.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

@mcarlson , for your grade pass back and sync to work correctly, you will need to create assignment groups (ideally, weighted assignment groups) in Canvas that correspond exactly to the assignment categories in PowerSchool. That means if you want a homework quiz to appear in the Homework category in PowerSchool, you need to (1) create an assignment group called Homework in the Canvas Assignments page, and (2) place the homework quiz in that group (along with any other quizzes and assignments you consider "Homework"). This is explained in Instructor Help: Using PowerSchool in Canvas​ , and How do I add an assignment group in a course? and How do I weight the final course grade based on assignment groups? should help you get it set up.

mcarlson
Community Participant

Sweet. Knew it had to be in there...

Off to make assignment groups. (now I know why there is only one choice in

the drop-down menu...

On Fri, Oct 7, 2016 at 8:22 AM, Stefanie Sanders <instructure@jiveon.com>

I'm glad to hear it,  @mcarlson ! I have heard that the assignment groups created in Canvas have to match up exactly with the assignment categories in PowerSchool, and by that I mean they have to match letter-for-letter, space-for-space, case-sensitive, and all. And if you do that, the grade pass back process becomes automatic and painless. Smiley Happy