Changing course names

Jump to solution
david_ewing
Community Member

I know how to merge multiple sections under 1 section.  However, I have been told that this can't be done and was wondering if there is something I miss.  My problem is, if I have ENGR 1250-001, -002, and -003, I want to merge them all under one Canvas page.  I can do that, but the Canvas page remains the title of the section I merged to (i.e. ENGR 1250-001, even if a student is in -003).  This causes MAJOR confusion for the students.  Is there a way to edit the course name or maybe create a "sandbox" course shell to put them all under?  I was told by my IT people that it can't be done.  Thanks!

0 Likes
2 Solutions
nwilson7
Community Champion

@david_ewing This is something that Canvas allows but your institution may restrict it for some reason.  

In the course settings menu, is the course name.  If you can change it, you will have the ability there.  We do all our syncing based on section names so we do allow our faculty to change names for this exact reason.  There is a place though that Canvas admins can block this ability so your institution may have a reason they don't want it to be done.

Hope that helps!

-Nick

View solution in original post

gnoack
Community Champion

Hi @nwilson7 

At my college, when cross-listing courses, a new course with a Generic name is created and then cross-list the sections into it.  For example, create a fourth course named ENGR 1250 with out identifying the sections.  The students most likely won't notice, mine never have. 

It may be that your IT folks simply haven't thought of this option. And, they may use a file upload from the SIS to manage sections, so they can't change the name because it would no longer be linked to the students. 

View solution in original post