Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tyler_walton
Community Member

Changing point value on quizzes

Jump to solution

Hello,

I would like to change the point value per question from 1 point to 1/2 a point on a 30-question exam that I am giving (so the exam is 30 questions, but is only worth 15 points). I am having trouble figuring out how to do that. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you,

- Tyler

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @tyler_walton  and welcome to the Community!  You should be able to go back in edit each question and change the point value to .5.  This document describes where the point value of each question is changed, How do I create a quiz with individual questions?.  After the quiz has been created, you would go back to the quiz and click "edit".  Then under the questions area, go to edit each question (the pencil icon) and you should see the default 1 point value.  After this is changed be sure to click "update question".

I hope this helps!

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @tyler_walton  and welcome to the Community!  You should be able to go back in edit each question and change the point value to .5.  This document describes where the point value of each question is changed, How do I create a quiz with individual questions?.  After the quiz has been created, you would go back to the quiz and click "edit".  Then under the questions area, go to edit each question (the pencil icon) and you should see the default 1 point value.  After this is changed be sure to click "update question".

I hope this helps!

View solution in original post

Thank you so much for the help, Eric.

boyle014
Community Member

Is there any way to do this to multiple questions at the same time? Very time consuming to do it one by one.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@boyle014 , the easiest way to do this - as long as you're ok with the order of the questions being different for each student - is to use a question group in your quiz. Using a question group will allow you to set the number of points each question should be worth - in one place!

Here's a guide that should help - https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12979-415298624 If you've already got your questions in the quiz, you'll just drag them into the question group.

Hope this helps! Kona