cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jodi_k
Community Participant

Changing the display order of Grades under student log in.

Jump to solution

Our courses have flexible enrolments with students completing the course at their own pace so no due dates are assigned to assessment tasks. Under the teacher log in, I've dragged the columns in the grade book to be in the same order as students complete the task. When logged in on a student account, however, the Grades in the global navigation and the in course navigation are in alphabetical order. Our students will find this confusing so I was wondering if there is another setting that we can use to have the tasks appear in the same order as in the course.

Thanks

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

Hi  @jodi_k ​, after many years of teaching courses in which all of the assignments have due dates, I recently started facilitating a self-paced course similar to the one you describe in which the activities do not have due dates. I was astonished to learn that even though I rearranged my Gradebook through drag-and-drop, that activity only controlled my Gradebook view; students still saw the graded activities arrayed in alphabetical order--and that was the case not only in their Grades views, but also in the high-level syllabus list that appears at the bottom of the Syllabus page.

My workaround for "forcing" the graded activities to appear in order was to preface each one with numbers (1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 2.1, 2.2....) that correspond to their respective modules. So the new names for each of the activities were something like this:

1.1. Orientation Introduction Discussion

1.2  Contribute to the Community

1.3  Quiz: Check Your Progress

2.1 Upload a Profile Photo

2.2 Customize Your Notifications

2.3 Quiz: Check Your Progress

...and so on. After I renamed all of the graded activities, students' view on their Grades tab matched the order of the graded activities in the course. Any naming convention that is consistent with your course organization that also incorporates a numerical sequence at the beginning of each graded activity name will do the trick.

You might want to submit a feature idea for this: How do I create a new feature idea?

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

Hi  @jodi_k ​, after many years of teaching courses in which all of the assignments have due dates, I recently started facilitating a self-paced course similar to the one you describe in which the activities do not have due dates. I was astonished to learn that even though I rearranged my Gradebook through drag-and-drop, that activity only controlled my Gradebook view; students still saw the graded activities arrayed in alphabetical order--and that was the case not only in their Grades views, but also in the high-level syllabus list that appears at the bottom of the Syllabus page.

My workaround for "forcing" the graded activities to appear in order was to preface each one with numbers (1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 2.1, 2.2....) that correspond to their respective modules. So the new names for each of the activities were something like this:

1.1. Orientation Introduction Discussion

1.2  Contribute to the Community

1.3  Quiz: Check Your Progress

2.1 Upload a Profile Photo

2.2 Customize Your Notifications

2.3 Quiz: Check Your Progress

...and so on. After I renamed all of the graded activities, students' view on their Grades tab matched the order of the graded activities in the course. Any naming convention that is consistent with your course organization that also incorporates a numerical sequence at the beginning of each graded activity name will do the trick.

You might want to submit a feature idea for this: How do I create a new feature idea?

View solution in original post

jodi_k
Community Participant

Thanks Stefanie. Hmmmm, I will have to think about how I could label ours that will fit. It is a good idea though. I will definitely submit a feature idea.

You're welcome,  @jodi_k ​! I'm currently using this method in a live course, and I've found it has an unintended--but beneficial--side effect. As the assignments in this course don't have due dates associated with them, I like to grade them in the order in which they appear in the class. The teacher's To-Do list doesn't arrange assignments that need grading in that manner (and for an exhaustive discussion of how the To-Do list is generated and sorted, see this discussion : How is the To-Do List sorted?). In the past, I had to open my modules in a separate window so that I could pick which assignments to grade based on the order they appear in the modules. Now that I'm using this numbering system, even though the To-Do list still isn't ordered, I can immediately see which ones should be graded first. It's a small-yet-big help. Smiley Happy

jodi_k
Community Participant

An added bonus! I was reading through that post the other day as well.