cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dmello2

Checking Plagiarism with Other Students in the Same Class

Jump to solution

I thought having Canvas check for plagiarism would also check the assignment against other students in the same class, but that's not happening.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

DM

Tags (1)
1 Solution
dhulsey
Community Champion

@dmello2 ‌, the timing of the submissions could be a factor. Another thing to check is to make sure you are asking TII to check everything. This is a screenshot of the options in the LTI version of TII: 

346925_2020-05-06_7-56-25.png

Be sure all options are checked. Maybe that helps? Otherwise, you might contact TII customer support.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Alisia_Brin
Community Participant

Hi @Daniel Mello

Could you please clarify what plagiarism checking tool you use? Usually, anti-plagiarism software offers the functionality to check the assignments of students in the same class for plagiarism. At least it is possible to check with the help of our plagiarism detection tool Unicheck

However, there are some reasons why it may not work. First of all, the option of adding all the submissions to an educational library or database of the school or university has to be turned on. Thus, all the works submitted will be checked against those papers that were submitted and saved previously in the database. Consequently, the second reason why such checks may not work is the time of submission. The 1st submitted paper will not be checked against the 2nd one. But the 2nd paper will be checked against the 1st one. You have to use special functionality for bulk checks available in Unicheck standalone accounts.

You may check more information about the functionality of Unicheck following the link below:

Unicheck for Instructors

If you use Unicheck and any additional quеstions arise, please feel free to get in touch with our Support Team at support@unicheck.com They will be glad to assist you any time.

0 Kudos

Hello! My Uni uses TurnItIn to check plagiarism.

I agree about the timing of submissions; that's what I've come to suspect. What I need a way to batch-check a whole assignment within itself, and prior submissions in the database. Anyone who knows how to do this with TurnItIn.com plugged into Canvas, please let me know. I've tried editing the assignment to a) remove the plagiarism check, b) save the assignment, then c) re-edit to turn on plagiarism checking again, hoping this would force a 'batch-check'. I'm not sure this worked, however.

Thoughts welcomed!

0 Kudos

Hi there,  @dmello2 ...

@dhulsey ‌ might have some ideas for you related to Turnitin.  Let's see what he recommends.  Good luck!

dhulsey
Community Champion

@dmello2 ‌, the timing of the submissions could be a factor. Another thing to check is to make sure you are asking TII to check everything. This is a screenshot of the options in the LTI version of TII: 

346925_2020-05-06_7-56-25.png

Be sure all options are checked. Maybe that helps? Otherwise, you might contact TII customer support.