cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
clare_smith
Community Participant

Class OneNote Assignment due date/time fail?

I have been able to successfully set up Class OneNote assignments using the Class Notebook plugin connection to Canvas, and it's able to pass through grades, however there appears to be a major flaw unless I'm missing something...

Namely that a student can still edit the OneNote page assignment after the date/time set in OneNote. I also tried updating the Assignment instance within Canvas to set an availability date. The student can still edit after I have graded the assignment also.

This could be a very powerful tool if there is a way to address the above, so I am hoping someone out there has a solution!

On a separate note - the grading is quite limited in that it cannot pick up our own lettered grading scheme in the OneNote display when the teacher is grading - however as long as I change the grading scheme in the Canvas instance, then Canvas does what it should with the grade I enter. 

3 Replies
clare_smith
Community Participant

An update - have contacted Microsoft direct via the EduApp centre as suggested by Canvas support to see if the functionality is on their radar. It seems an odd feature - the ability to create assignments, grade them and pass the mark through to Canvas, but then for the work to not be locked in some way.  

I have enquired if there are plans for the LTI to:

• Lock down the notebook pages due date and prevent editing until a new due date is applied. Or create a ‘snapshot’ copy of the assignment for grading perhaps?
  • Add a visual Indication on Class Notebook that a page has been set as a Canvas Assignment
  • Provide ability to set a whole section as a Canvas Assignment
  • Enable the OneNote grading display to pick up our own lettered grading scheme (however as long as you change the grading scheme in the Canvas instance, then Canvas does what it should with the grade entered in Notebook).

Will update if any news.

berryjr
Community Member

Hi Clare,  this is interesting, I was hoping it would lock the OneNote on submission for the reasons you mention.  We were hoping to use it for lab notebooks, with a snapshot submitted at the end of the lab via speedgrader to stop students doctoring their results after the lab!

Cheers

Joe

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@clare_smith ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie