Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brent_scholar
Community Participant

Closed Captioning for Canvas Recorded Videos

Jump to solution

Hi Everyone!

I am new to Canvas and decided to record a little video for my students in the speed grade book area for their welcome discussion posts. I am using the built in recorder in Canvas. I realized when I have a hard of hearing student who requires subtitles I would not closed captioning.

Can those who have used this recorder in the past, provide some guidance on using the third party tool that Canvas directs us to? Amara: Caption, Subtitle and Translate Video 

Thank you!

Brent

newtocanvas‌ canvasrecordings‌

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
debra_mansperge
Community Contributor

I've only used this caption creator once and it was a few years ago.  I don't remember it being particularly difficult but not much else about it.  Have you seen the Canvas guides for doing this?  Here's the overview and there is a link to more information about creating the file: How do I add captions to new or uploaded videos in Canvas as an instructor? 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
langlangcat
Community Contributor

A precise voice-to-text close-captioning always needs the involvement of human intelligence. No AI is sophisticated enough to do an impeccable voice recognition work for you. But YouTube does offer a better-than-nothing version of automatic voice-to-text translation, which captures pretty much the core content of the audio content. This said, always be prepared for some surprising mis-translation which will amuse the whole class. 

For this hearing-impaired student, your best way out is to download all students video submissions. and ran it in YouTube with automatic CC, then relink it back to Canvas. If you happen to have a TA, well, you know from who you can seek help. The good side of the story is the CC can be edited. 

Good luck. 

Thank you for these options. I know about YouTube and I have made my own CC for those videos. I am using the CANVAS recorder in the grade book. They provide a path to do CC and I want to know if anyone has done it before with that program, as I have not, and I do not dive into all tech without learning about others who have used it.

So does anyone have experience using the Canvas process, which may need to be looked at by myself to make clear. This is off the cuff and not planned so the student feels welcomed.

Does that help focus this question on a CANVAS recommended path and not just every video posting?

Thank you!

debra_mansperge
Community Contributor

I've only used this caption creator once and it was a few years ago.  I don't remember it being particularly difficult but not much else about it.  Have you seen the Canvas guides for doing this?  Here's the overview and there is a link to more information about creating the file: How do I add captions to new or uploaded videos in Canvas as an instructor? 

View solution in original post