cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nhutchison1
Community Member

Collaborations - Student View

Jump to solution

I've just created Groups and want to check that students can use Google Docs in Collaborations. In Student View, I get the "Unauthorized to View" message - but Collaborations is an active tab (not hidden from students). Do I need to wait until students log in to their Google accounts for this to work?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@nhutchison1 ​, this is actually an expected behavior. Since test student isn't a "real" person/student they wouldn't be able to link to a google account (which is required for Collaborations). Just to double-check this I tried it in my course and got the same message. Yet, if I view it as myself (Instructor view) it works fine and I know it works fine for my students because they use it every week for class.

You can check that the group functionality is working by clicking on Collaborations as you (Instructor) and creating a new Collaboration. When you do this you'll see a list of all your students and a tab for "Groups" that should have the names of your groups. See this guide for more information that should help you and your students - How do I create a Google Docs Collaboration?

View solution in original post

3 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @nhutchison1 ​...

These are the five instructor guides I found as it relates to Collaborations:

What are Collaborations?

How do I create a Google Docs Collaboration? (I think this one may help answer some of your questions?)

How do I edit a Google Docs Collaboration?

How do I delete a Google Doc Collaboration?

How do I join a Google Docs collaboration?

Please let me know if these Guides help.  If not, please come back to your posting and let us know...thanks!!!

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@nhutchison1 ​, this is actually an expected behavior. Since test student isn't a "real" person/student they wouldn't be able to link to a google account (which is required for Collaborations). Just to double-check this I tried it in my course and got the same message. Yet, if I view it as myself (Instructor view) it works fine and I know it works fine for my students because they use it every week for class.

You can check that the group functionality is working by clicking on Collaborations as you (Instructor) and creating a new Collaboration. When you do this you'll see a list of all your students and a tab for "Groups" that should have the names of your groups. See this guide for more information that should help you and your students - How do I create a Google Docs Collaboration?

View solution in original post

eleverett1
Community Member

I had this same thing happen, BUT my students still can't get into collaborations. They get the same message as when I'm a test student. I can see it as an Instructor, but that's it. 

Do you know why it would continue to happen with students enrolled in the course?