Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
u0069751

Combining sections for a discussion

Jump to solution

I have two sections of one class, which meets together. I want everyone to be involved in the same discussion postings, but I can't see an option for this. Does anyone know how I can include them both?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@u0069751 ​, are your course sections combined (or cross-listed) into one course? If so, then the default is that the different sections will be able to interact. If not, then I'm not aware of a way from within Canvas to do this with students in different courses. One way around this could be to (1) cross-list your course sections (this basically combines them into one course - How do I cross-list a section in a course? - also note that this isn't allowed at every Institution) or (2) set-up an external discussion somewhere and link to it from your Canvas course sections.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@u0069751 ​, are your course sections combined (or cross-listed) into one course? If so, then the default is that the different sections will be able to interact. If not, then I'm not aware of a way from within Canvas to do this with students in different courses. One way around this could be to (1) cross-list your course sections (this basically combines them into one course - How do I cross-list a section in a course? - also note that this isn't allowed at every Institution) or (2) set-up an external discussion somewhere and link to it from your Canvas course sections.

Hope this helps!

nr2522
Community Champion

Hi, Emily.

If cross-listing is not an option, you might want to look into account-level groups. These are independent of courses, and specific students can be added to the group. If you are not a Canvas admin for your school, you will likely need help from someone who is.

How do I view groups in an account?

How do I create a new group set in an account?

How do I create groups in an account?

Account-level groups can also be created and users added using SIS Import: SIS Import Format Documentation - Canvas LMS REST API Documentation

Thanks so much for your help! I cross-listed the courses, and it looks like everyone's there.