ljones4
Community Member

How can I grade competencies on canvas?

0 Likes
1 Solution
kmeeusen
Community Champion

Hi @ljones4 

By creating graded activities (quizzes, assignments and Discussions) that are aligned with those competencies - meaning, if the student successfully completes the activity, then they have demonstrated that same level of achievement of the competency! You do not grade competencies, outcomes or objectives; you grade the things that students do that can demonstrate they have achieved those things - regardless of what names you give them.

Now, with all of that being said, what you are asking is not easy, and is something educators have been struggling with since we first climbed down from the trees! That's okay, Canvas has some tools that will help.

First, check out Mastery Paths:

In education we tend to refer to competencies as outcomes. Yes, I know they are not exactly the same thing, but for your purposes they can be, and Canvas has some strong outcomes tools at both the Account and the Course level. Mastery Paths is intricately connected to outcomes. I would suggest reviewing the entire Outcomes chapter of the Canvas Instructor Guide.

Combined with Canvas Grading Rubrics so that student achievement is measured accurately and fairly:

This will get you started, but it would be so much easier if you had a local mentor to sit down with you and help you get started!

Good luck, and if you have further questions, do not hesitate to ask.

Kelley

View solution in original post