cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kburkes
Community Contributor

Complete or Conclude?

Jump to solution

We are new to Canvas, and I need clarification of the conclude / complete nomenclature.  It seems to be used interchangeably.

At the end of our Spring term, the courses went into a view-only state for faculty and students based on the term date set by our SIS feed.  Is this a 'completed' course, or a 'concluded' course?

Is there also another level of archive status beyond this end-of-term change noted above?  Since the courses are removed from the dashboard and appear under Courses > All Courses > Past Courses, what function cleans up this "Past Courses' list? 

Thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi kburkes

Essentially, Conclude and Complete are interchangeable. You can learn more at What should I do at the beginning and end of each term as an admin? I am also thinking that you may find this guide to be particularly useful How do term dates, course dates, and section dates work in Canvas? 

As for archiving past courses, there is currently no function in Canvas for accomplishing this. The ability to archive has been a frequent feature idea since Canvas first went into production. There is a version of this idea currently open for voting and on the Product Team's radar. You can check it out and vote for it at https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/4299-course-archive-process 

What we currently do is manually delete our courses after approximately two years. We would much rather have a way to archive them, but are deleting them at this time to keep our user's courses as short as possible.

Kelley

View solution in original post

3 Replies
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi kburkes

Essentially, Conclude and Complete are interchangeable. You can learn more at What should I do at the beginning and end of each term as an admin? I am also thinking that you may find this guide to be particularly useful How do term dates, course dates, and section dates work in Canvas? 

As for archiving past courses, there is currently no function in Canvas for accomplishing this. The ability to archive has been a frequent feature idea since Canvas first went into production. There is a version of this idea currently open for voting and on the Product Team's radar. You can check it out and vote for it at https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/4299-course-archive-process 

What we currently do is manually delete our courses after approximately two years. We would much rather have a way to archive them, but are deleting them at this time to keep our user's courses as short as possible.

Kelley

View solution in original post

kburkes
Community Contributor

Thank you.  Very good information!

Community Champion

We rely on the 'Term Dates' to control both student and faculty access. From there, we follow the WA State 'student record retention schedule guidelines', which state that student course/grade records be kept for 5 quarters past the date of course completion.

Our HR department issued a request/mandate that to lesson the District's legal and work load liability for 'public records requests', that every department delete ALL records that are past the legal requirement for maintaining them. Therefore, after the start of each new quarter, we completely delete ALL courses from Canvas that are 5 full quarters past the end date of their original quarter of instruction. This is accomplished via a 'provisioning report' and csv file upload.

This works for us, and I hope it is helpful for you!   ;>)