cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stephanie_self
Community Member

Conditional Logic for Pass/Fail Groups

We would like to see Assignment Groups that can be set to pass/fail, while the items within the group are graded numerically, as is the course as a whole.

Several of our courses include categories which are pass/fail, though the course as a whole is graded on a standard numeric scale, provided these "make it or break it" categories are passed. I'd like to see more sophisticated conditional logic in the gradebook Assignment Group settings to allow this functionality.

Example: In a nursing course, the Lab portion of the course is pass/fail. That category in the syllabus/gradebook must be passed with at least 75% for the grades in other categories (i.e. quizzes, homework, assignments and projects in the lecture category) to count/determine the final grade.

I would love feedback on this, and I would appreciate any alternative ideas on how others might be handling similar situations currently.  Thanks in advance!

4 Replies
erinhmcmillan
Community Team
Community Team

Hi, Stephanie!

This feels like a feature idea, though it's noted as a discussion. And that may be our fault—I just realized that we had the new discussion link set up for the Submit an Idea button. I just corrected that so future clickers will end up in the correct location.

If you intend for this to be an idea, do you mind copying what you wrote above and paste it as a new idea in Canvas Studio? And don't forget to add new_gradebook as a tag so it will show up for others to view in the list of existing ideas.

Thank you!

Erin

Hi Erin!

I actually started with a feature idea, but I wanted to also put it as a discussion for new gradebook users to see if anyone else had any comments or suggestions as to how they were handling. Or even ideas to supplement what I put in the feature idea.

Stephanie Self

Hi, Stephanie,

Great! Then this is the perfect place for a discussion. Smiley Happy You may want to clarify your original post to suggest you're looking for feedback or alternative ideas, just so that others know.

Good luck!

Erin

rlongley
Community Member

Hello all.  I was wondering if this was ever worked out.  I have a similar question regarding setting up a GradeBook with conditional logic.  For example,

I would like to set up a course as follows: Three equally weighted exams will count 75% of the final grade. Ten quizzes which make up the remainder 25% of the final grade. I would like to set it up so that if the average of the three exams is less than 70%, then the final grade will be only the average of the three exams. If the average of the three exams is greater than 70% then the three exams plus the quizzes will make up the final grade.

Any help on this would REALLY be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ross Longley

rlongley@arcomedu.org