cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
linda_flores
Community Participant

Conferences and number of students

Jump to solution

If I have a course with more than 50 students, I can't have a conference with them all at once, right? (I read that the max number is 50). 

If I understood right, the way students enter a conference is by clicking a link in an email they get with the invitation. (s that the only way?

So, if I want to divide a group of 100 students into one group that will join the introduction conference at 17:30, and then have another group of 50 student joint at 18:00, how do I do that? 

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ffdixon
Community Champion

Hi Linda,

I'm the product manager for BigBlueButton and work at Blindside Networks. While I can't speak for Instructure, I can answer your question.

> If I have a course with more than 50 students, I can't have a conference with them all at once, right? (I read that the max number is 50).

You can have more than 50 users in a conference.  There is actually no hard-coded number of users.  We've seen conferences with 100 users, 150 users, and more.

You might be wondering why we recommend 100 or less?  We prefer to be a bit conservative in our recommendations so there is lots of headroom.

You should be fine with 100 users.

Regards,... Fred

--

BigBlueButton Project Manager

I also moonlight as the CEO of Blindside Networks.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@linda_flores , I’m not sure if you can use the same conference for both. You might need to leave the first and open up a second for the second group. Yet, I’m not 100% sure on this and have shared your question with  @ffdixon ‌, resident Conferences (Big Blue Button) expert. 

Hope this helps!

Kona

ffdixon
Community Champion

Hi Linda,

I'm the product manager for BigBlueButton and work at Blindside Networks. While I can't speak for Instructure, I can answer your question.

> If I have a course with more than 50 students, I can't have a conference with them all at once, right? (I read that the max number is 50).

You can have more than 50 users in a conference.  There is actually no hard-coded number of users.  We've seen conferences with 100 users, 150 users, and more.

You might be wondering why we recommend 100 or less?  We prefer to be a bit conservative in our recommendations so there is lots of headroom.

You should be fine with 100 users.

Regards,... Fred

--

BigBlueButton Project Manager

I also moonlight as the CEO of Blindside Networks.

View solution in original post

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Thank you so much  @ffdixon ‌! This is very useful information!

jlenrow
Community Participant

@ffdixon ‌, is number (100 or so) for two way audio and video or one way AV and, say, the chatroom for participants?

Jon Lenrow

ffdixon
Community Champion

Hi Jon,

>  is number (100 or so) for two way audio and video or one way AV and, say, the chatroom for participants?

That's how it usually works out.  For smaller meetings, we've seen rooms with 20 users sharing webcams (usually when there are 20 or so people). 

But as you get to large meetings the number of webcams naturally drops.  As a result, we usually see a large meeting (such as 100 users) with one webcam or, more often, with no webcams.

Regards,... Fred

ffdixon
Community Champion

Hi Linda,

I just checked the docs and saw the recommended max is 100

What are Conferences? 

but it might be another entry that shows 50.  If you could point out the information you read we can update it to show a recommendation of 100.

Regards,... Fred

linda_flores
Community Participant

Thank you! This is where I read 50: 

How many people can you invite to a conference?