cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
john_yin
Community Member

Confirming "inbox" message receipt

Jump to solution

I'm a complete newbie to Canvas, so I'd welcome help on the "inbox" function. I tried to use it to send a welcome note to students (and myself, as a check), but none received the note and I had no indication of the note sent to myself.

Other functions (such as loading files to the course Canvas site) seem fine, and students are able to access the site (I have published it).

Am I missing something simple? Thanks for any help you provide!

John Y.

Univ. of Wisconsin-Madison

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

To be clear, some of my Inbox conversations work fine. But others, the messages disappear.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
klundstrum
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @john_yin , and Welcome to the Canvas Community!

I'm sorry to hear that the message that you sent from your Conversations Inbox didn't reach your students! The best two guides on how to follow-up with this are:

How do I use Conversations as an instructor? 

How do I filter conversations as an instructor? 

After reading them and exploring the Conversation Inbox a bit, please reply! The Community would be happy to help with any other questions! Smiley Happy

abunag
Community Champion

I'm not sure why your students wouldn't receive the message, but you can't send a message to yourself, even if you include your own name on the recipients list.  Odd "feature" there, but it is what it is.  Usually if student's don't receive a message it's because the course isn't published, but you've already ruled that out.  I'm assuming your school has the same email system for both students and faculty, and the students have their Wisc.edu emails as their emails in Canvas?  You may want to involve your Canvas admin in this discussion, as they can masquerade as a student to confirm that the message wasn't received by the student's inbox, or if this is a Canvas-Inbox-to-email issue.

Hi, I'm having the same problem. I remembered sending Inbox messages to two of my students last week, but they followed up with me because they never received an answer. Then, today, I twice composed long Inbox messages giving students detailed feedback, and hit send and the message disappears. Not in the sent folder.

What might be going on?

I am using Chrome on a Macbook.

To be clear, some of my Inbox conversations work fine. But others, the messages disappear.

View solution in original post

abunag
Community Champion

I'd suggest contacting Canvas Support to investigate.  If it's not in the sent folder in conversations, then there's an issue and they need to investigate to establish the cause.

I agree! Once you hear back from Canvas Support, please let us know what you learn! Smiley Happy

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello from about an hour NE of you,  @john_yin  (I'm at MPTC in Fond du Lac)...

I wanted to check in with you because I noticed that we've not heard from you since you first posted this question here in the Canvas Community on September 8, 2017.  Have you had an opportunity to review the feedback that you've received from  @klundstrum  and  @abunag  thus far?  Did any of their responses help to answer your question?  Or, are you still looking for some assistance with your original question?  If you could please come back to this topic to provide an update, that would be great!

In reading through your question, you didn't really specify where your students were looking for the message(s) that you sent your students via Canvas.  If they are looking in their own Canvas inbox, then I agree with posting above suggesting to contact Canvas support.  The other thought I had was around students' own notification settings.  Students can choose other methods (school e-mail, personal e-mail, text message, Twitter) by which to receive notifications about certain events in Canvas.  Then, once those communication methods are set up, they can then decide on the frequency of those notifications.  (This really applies to any Canvas user.)  Here are some Guides on how this works:

How do I add contact methods to receive Canvas notifications as a student? 

How do I add an additional email address as a contact method in Canvas as a student? 

How do I add a text (SMS) contact method in Canvas as a student? 

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10624-4212710344 (You'd want to take a look at the three rows under the "Conversations" heading on the notifications screen.)

So, it's entirely possible that students may have their notification settings turned off, for example, and not receive anything via e-mail and only get notified about things via text message.  Or, maybe they only get an e-mail when an assignment has been graded, but they want to be notified via text message when an announcement is posted to the class.

Since we've not heard from you in over two months, John, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" but that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions/comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.