cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
clare_smith
Community Participant

Consequences of removing from a Section?

Hi, 

I've had a dig around and can't seem to find a definitive on this scenario... 

If we have a course with 3 sections, as below:

Section 1 = all the students on the course (i.e. qualification)

Section 2 = Class group A

Section = Class group B

This means each student is in 2 sections on the same course. This also means that in places (e.g. the Magicmarker that I'm investigating), a student appears twice and you can't distinguish where grades or outcomes are applied - to the student in Section 1 or the other Section they are part of. 

Realise this is something to rectify going forward, but if we were to delete section 1 - are there consequences or is the student data recognised as being attached to the student who is still in the course? 

Hope this makes sense!

Thanks in advance Smiley Happy 

Tags (1)
3 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@clare_smith ‌, we don't have students in two sections at once, but we move them between sections in the same course and the student info stays with the student - so grades, activity. Attendance, etc. 

clare_smith
Community Participant

Hi, Thanks - I kind of thought this would be the case, but just worried of conflict, e.g. if a student was assigned an assignment at the top course level (i.e. an assignment to 'everyone' and not to a specific section).

I've done a quick test with a student in a demo course and in 3 sections of that course. 

Deleted a student from Section 1 (containing all the students on the course) - their grades remained in gradebook 

Deleted the same student from Section 2 (Class group A) - the grade for an assignment set for only Section 2 disappeared, but the grade for an assignment set for 'everyone' remained.  

Remain in Section = Class group B

This would seem to indicate that there is a problem when removing from a section only where there were assessments set for that section specifically.

If anyone else has confirmation of that then it would seem that I should be safe removing students from the top level section container for the course.

Sections hurt my brain! 

Hi  @clare_smith ‌...

While I don't have an answer for you myself, I thought that I would check in with you because there hasn't been much activity in this thread since your above response to  @kona ‌ this past April.  Has this issue been resolved?  Are you still looking for some help with this?  If you did get this resolved, please feel free to mark one of the above responses as "Correct".  However, if you are still looking for some assistance, please come back to this posting to give us an update.  Because there hasn't been any activity in this topic for about two months, I'm going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered", but that won't prevent you or others from posting additional replies below.  I hope that's okay with you.  Looking forward to hearing from you soon, Clare.