cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andrew_starnes
Community Participant

Contact Log

Hello Canvas Community! I teach for a virtual program in my county and interact with Canvas on a daily basis. One feature my colleagues and I started to use quite a bit was the "notes column" feature of the grade book. We liked the idea of being able to see a students total grade and seeing a note about the student. I like to use the note for what communication I have made with the students parent. We quickly noticed the entry for the column feature is limited to a certain amount of characters.

This got us thinking how nice it would be if Canvas had some sore of Communication Log where we could keep track of student contact. Right now we use google sheets to make a spreadsheet of this contact. I wanted to see if the community saw any interest in having a contact log feature or idea built with in Canvas? This could possibly just be an extension of the notes column feature to allow for more characters.

I understand this would be an idea for the feature request page, but I wanted to see if there was any interest here in the discussions area first. 

6 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Dropout Detective by Alliance Partner - AspirEDU​ has this feature where we can enter in this type of information by student and have the option of sharing it (or not) with other Instructors and/or with Admins (Coaches, Advisors, etc). In addition, it also includes students grades, missed assignments, late assignments, etc.

Chris_Munzo
Community Champion

Hi,  @andrew_starnes ​!

As a virtual school that is looking for student contact logs, we have two analytics solutions that could interest you:

Dropout Detective – While our main purpose is to identify students that are at risk by analyzing their performance across ALL courses, we also have a Notes log that is attached to the student (not the gradebook or the course) and can be shared by teachers, counselors and admins.  We create personalized dashboards so you can monitor just the students assigned to you.  We have many Canvas online K-12s using us, including Olin Virtual School, Idaho Distance Education Academy, Kenai Peninsula and others.  We have nearly 100 Canvas clients using Dropout Detective and your CSM will know us well.

Instructor Insight – This helps you keep track of the performance and engagement of the teachers in their courses.  Are they logging into their courses?  Are they posting grades?  Tons of other data elements are presented.

Please let me know if you’d like to set up some time for a web demo.  Thanks!

andrew_starnes
Community Participant

Thank you for the responses, I assume since this is a third party it would be something we have pay for instead of being housed with in Canvas, is that correct?

Chris_Munzo
Community Champion

Yes, we are a third party -- one of Alliance Partners that Canvas has.  So yes, there is a fee for our service.  However, with our LTI integration, we are single sign-on with Canvas so we don't appear to be "housed" separately or force users to access our dashboards separately.  We are worth it! Smiley Happy

YES, 100% totally worth it! We've been using this solution for over three years and have been VERY happy with it in terms of the services, features, and information it provides us about our students!

andrew_starnes
Community Participant

Thank you guys for your feedback. I may end up going the feature request route. I think that a expanded notes column feature may be a simpler solution for our needs.