cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
richardp
Community Participant

Containing Activities within Modules

I have a course comprising five units and each unit, in turn, comprises 33 weekly topics and each weekly topic, of which there will be many, will be delivered via a blended learning session/lesson. Rightly or wrongly, I have the activities for each topic/lesson organised within a module..... of which there will be many! Is it possible to prevent the previous/next functionality within  module from over-spilling/accessing content in adjacent modules? I am relatively new to the workings of Canvas:-(   

n.b. For administrative purposes all of the five units need to come under the umbrella of one course.

5 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @richardp ...

I did a bit of searching here in the Canvas Community.  Removing the "Previous" and "Next" buttons isn't something you can normally do within the current Canvas interface.  However, I did find a previous question that appears to be similar to what you are asking that was asked about a year ago, and I think it may still apply.  However, I want to add that the global JavaScript that cesbrandt describes in his reply would affect all Canvas courses at your school and not just your course.  So, please keep that in mind.  Here's the link for you: Preventing previous/next jumps between modules.  So, is this possible?  Yes, with custom JavaScript code...but at the account level (according to what Christopher has developed).

richardp
Community Participant

Hi Chris, many thanks for your speedy reply. I don't think for one minute admin would sanction the removal. Hence, I still have the problem

Thanks Rick

Get Outlook for iOS<https://aka.ms/o0ukef>

cesbrandt
Community Champion

@richardp , as  @chofer  mentioned, this is possible via JavaScript, but it will be globally applied based upon the JavaScript deployed.

At the course-level, there is no way to make it work.

A middleground possibility is to add the JavaScript to the global JavaScript file wrapped in a restriction to only execute in a specific course shell. How you define that shell could be hard-coded into the script, meaning if you need to add new shells to the list you'd have to modify the global JavaScript to do so, or it can be via a XHR. We use the XHR option for controlling our use of LiveChat to supply tutoring and IT support. The JavaScript uses the XHR to identify the correct LiveChat group to load for a given course. This information is provided via a third-party system used for managing all of our courseware.

In the end, it's hackish to do this and, despite being possible, I would advise against it. The removal of the Next and Previous buttons for a single course is not worth the hassle involved in such a process.

debra_mansperge
Community Contributor

I can't help you remove the previous and next buttons, but you could play around with prerequisites and requirements in the modules to keep students from progressing to the next module without having met all the requirements in the current module.  If they haven't met the requirements, then they'd be able to click on next, but they would get a not-available-until-requirements-are-met type message.  How do I add prerequisites to a module?  https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13134-415261967 

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@richardp ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie