cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bradhorn
Community Contributor

Content (quizzes and pages) disappearing

Ok, I'm back with more mysteries. I'm having things disappear—quizzes and pages to be specific. Using the www.school.edu/coursename/undelete trick didn't work for me. I always save and/or publish things so that's not it, but there are two things that could be contributing to the phenomenon: 1) I am working collaboratively with another teacher and we are often working in the course at the same time. 2) I also often have more than one Canvas tab open with my course in it. Both of these have been the case for more than a month but it's only recently that things have started to disappear.

Any ideas, oh gurus of Canvas?

Tags (1)
27 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

We had a case of this in a course just this week and called Canvas Support and they were able to go in and tell us exactly what happened and who the culprit was!

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Yes, we should definitely be friends and I followed you yesterday! Smiley Happy

In general the Community is a pretty fun and helpful bunch, and we're happy to have you in and participating! Is your school just switching over to Canvas?

bradhorn
Community Contributor

How do I access the Beta environment? I have tried looking it up (in places like this: How do I access the Canvas beta environment as an instructor?) but I can't make sense of the "[organization name].beta.instructure.com" instruction. For me that would be (I think) wisc.beta.instructure.com which kicked me to a login to Canvas via my institution's login page. That login failed. I also tried wisc.EDU.beta.instructure.com but got a "your connection is not private" error and couldn't proceed.

Is my Canvas acct haunted by the ghost of a disgruntled employee?

bradhorn
Community Contributor

Yes we are just now getting it and I'm a new employee, too. Lots of newness here. Too much, obviously....although it has led me to hanging out, virtually, with you cool folks.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hmmm... I did some playing around and I wonder if the issue is that you have to pick which Institution/organization you're trying to access? One thing you could try is to log into Canvas (regular Canvas for your school) and then in the URL at the top of your page insert beta in between the school part of your URL and the Instructure part. Example: richland.instructure.edu (my normal Canvas environment) --> richland.beta.instructure.edu (beta environment). When I do this I'm not prompted to log in because I'm technically already logged into Canvas through my regular environment.

If this doesn't work then my recommendation is to contact Canvas Support at your Institution and see if they can help you figure out the login issue with Beta and to help with why your pages are disappearing! If you're not sure how to contact support click on the Help link in Canvas and report a problem.

bradhorn
Community Contributor

Well now maybe that's the problem...at least with the Beta / Test thing. This is the url to my normal Canvas environment: https://canvas.wisc.edu/ . I've tried inserting the word "beta" in several spots in the url but nothing has worked.

Seems like I need to be moving on to Canvas Support at this point but do let me know if you have any ideas. And thank you.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Nope, sorry, I'm stumped. If/when you find out what you needed to do could you come back and let us know?

Thanks! Kona

myerdon01
Community Champion

Myself, and other faculty, work with Canvas open in multiple tabs and have not had any issues. I have one that swears though that they have issues when they are using 2 different browsers with Canvas simultaneously, but I have yet to see it actually happen.

HOWEVER, I did want to chime in with a caution on working with multiple tabs open, specifically when copying content from a previous course to a new one. Thank goodness this only happened once since I have been our Canvas admin, but I had an instructor (computer programming teacher, no less) come to my office close to tears the other day. She had Canvas open in different tabs and was switching back and forth between them making sure she had copied all content from old courses into a new development shell. When she was finished with one of the old classes (it was a manually created development shell), she decided to permanently delete it because she would no longer have a need for it since she copied everything into a new shell.  Once she hit the button she realized she was in her live course for the semester, not the shell! Together we were able to get the course back, she had googled a You Tube video and I followed the instructions in the admin guide and all was well!

Just my word or warning to be careful with multiple tabs or windows open! She and I both now agree that when we are ready to delete something, we close everything except the one we truly want to delete, just to be safe!

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Good words of caution! Same goes when you're getting ready to copy content into a course! Always double check that you're in the right course!!

schristman
Community Member

I didn't read through ALL of the comments, but was this course imported?  In my experience, I had created a "template" course or module then imported it, and when I went to change the actual content in the modules everything reverted back to the original.