cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stevec
Community Contributor

Convert generic assignment to graded discussion

Jump to solution

If I pull up the "Assignment" tab, I can see 17 discussion boards. Half of them have a page with an "A" on it as their icon and the other half have a "talk bubble." When I call up "Discussions," only the assignments with the "talk bubble" show up. They're all accessible through "Assignments," but I'm concerned that my students might not see the ones that aren't showing up under "Discussions." Is there a way to convert them from a generic assignment to a discussion?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@stevec , the assignments with A's are literally just that, assignments. Most people use assignments to have student submit files or as a place to add a grade for something the student has submitted on paper. What are Assignments for instructors?

I know this can be confusing because Canvas uses the term Assignments two different ways. One way is the Assignment page that has every Assignment that is in your course and could include discussions, quizzes, or assignments (place to upload files or generic place to add grades for something that isn't a discussion or quiz). Here is a guide that should help - What are the different Assignment types available to instructors in Canvas courses?

The other way Assignments is used is as a literal type of Assignment - as I described in my first paragraph - where it is a place to have students upload files, media, URL's, or a place to add a grade if the work was turned in/done face to face.

Unfortunaty there is no way to change assignments to discussions. You would have to recreate these as discussions (and then delete the original assignment). You can do this either from the Discussions page or by changing the assignment type to Discussion when you create a new assignment. Here is a guide that should help - How do I create a Discussion as an instructor?

View solution in original post

1 Reply
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@stevec , the assignments with A's are literally just that, assignments. Most people use assignments to have student submit files or as a place to add a grade for something the student has submitted on paper. What are Assignments for instructors?

I know this can be confusing because Canvas uses the term Assignments two different ways. One way is the Assignment page that has every Assignment that is in your course and could include discussions, quizzes, or assignments (place to upload files or generic place to add grades for something that isn't a discussion or quiz). Here is a guide that should help - What are the different Assignment types available to instructors in Canvas courses?

The other way Assignments is used is as a literal type of Assignment - as I described in my first paragraph - where it is a place to have students upload files, media, URL's, or a place to add a grade if the work was turned in/done face to face.

Unfortunaty there is no way to change assignments to discussions. You would have to recreate these as discussions (and then delete the original assignment). You can do this either from the Discussions page or by changing the assignment type to Discussion when you create a new assignment. Here is a guide that should help - How do I create a Discussion as an instructor?