Copy Canvas Course to new instructor

Jump to solution
CarolineHatcher
Community Member

Hi, I have a class from over a year ago- how can I copy the class to a new instructor?

I cannot add her to the people in the class anymore and when I try to export the content to her, she gets denied access....

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi there, @CarolineHatcher ...

There are a handful of things that you can do to get that course content over to the other instructor's course...

• You could enroll the other instructor in your course.  If, as you mentioned, you cannot do this (because maybe the + People button is grayed out in the "People" screen), you may need to change the start/end dates of the course temporarily via the course "Settings" page.  Extend the end date of the course to some date in the future, and then hopefully that + People button will become active.  Once the other instructor is enrolled in your course temporarily, then that instructor could log into her course and import content from your course into her course.   How do I copy content from another Canvas course u... - Canvas Community  You could instead see if you can get yourself enrolled in her course temporarily.  Then, you would log into her course and import content from your course into her course.  The key is that one of you would need to be enrolled in both courses so that you could use the course import tool as described in the Guide that I've linked for you.
  • I know you mentioned exporting the course, but these would be the Guides you'd want to use:
  • Do you both have access to Canvas Commons?  If so, you could share the entire course to Canvas Commons.  Then, once the course has been shared, she can import the course from Commons to her own course.

Hopefully one of these three options will work for both of you.  Please let Community members know if you have any other questions about this...thanks!  Take care, stay safe, and be well.

View solution in original post