cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rsumner

Copy course without links referring back to older course

Jump to solution

How can I copy a course  to a new semester but not have it referring back to the older course?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @rsumner ...

When you use the Course Import Tool, it should automatically update the links in the new course to point to the right content so you don't have to worry about those links pointing back to the old course.  You can use these instructions:

How do I copy content from another Canvas course using the Course Import tool? 

Also, it's always a good idea to check your course for broken links before the course starts...so that you can fix anything that might be broken.  Canvas does have a link checker that you can use, and it will identify any links that point to other courses.  Here's a Guide for that, too:

How do I validate links in a course? 

I hope that these resources will be of help to you, Ray.  Sing out if you have any other questions for Community members.  Stay safe, and be well.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @rsumner ...

When you use the Course Import Tool, it should automatically update the links in the new course to point to the right content so you don't have to worry about those links pointing back to the old course.  You can use these instructions:

How do I copy content from another Canvas course using the Course Import tool? 

Also, it's always a good idea to check your course for broken links before the course starts...so that you can fix anything that might be broken.  Canvas does have a link checker that you can use, and it will identify any links that point to other courses.  Here's a Guide for that, too:

How do I validate links in a course? 

I hope that these resources will be of help to you, Ray.  Sing out if you have any other questions for Community members.  Stay safe, and be well.

0 Kudos

Is there a way to export Canvas Course 1A to my new course 2B, and prevent Canvas from referring back to the old course (1A)?

I want the links in the new course to reference the new course (2B), and not the previous course (1A).  

Canvas is NOT updating the links automatically.

0 Kudos

Hi @johnsow ...

That's pretty odd that the links would not be updating in the new course once you import content.  Since I cannot see your course, this would be complete speculation on my part...  Do you know if, at any time, you may have copied/pasted links from one course to another?  If you had done this, I could see why the links may not update correctly because when you copy/paste, the links in the current course are pointing back to a past course.  Again, this is all speculation.

If you want to ensure that your links are functioning the way you want, I would suggest first running the link validator.  (I've corrected the links in my earlier above response so they work now.)  Then, once you have identified any links that aren't working correctly.  The link validator may tell you that you have links that are pointing to other courses...in which case, you'll need to fix those.  Then, once you have corrected those links, try importing the course...and that should hopefully help resolve your issues.

The other option is just the reverse of this...import the course first to the new course, and then run the link validator in the new course...fixing any issues.  You might even want to go through the course page by page just to double-check that links are pointing to where they should.

I hope this will be of some help to you.  Let Community members know if you have any other questions about this...thanks!

0 Kudos