Copy existing course out to new shell

Jump to solution
snunnjo1
Community Novice

As an assignment this semester I have to continue a 2 week lesson into a 4 week lesson.  I created the 2 week lesson last semester and now I have to add two more weeks of lessons this semester.  I want to keep my past work separate from the course I am now taking (and thus have two iterations of the course) I need to copy this course out to a new shell in Canvas. You can accomplish this by: 

1. Login to Canvas https://canvas.instructure.com/login/canvas

2. Enter Your Class

3. Click Settings - I DO NOT SEE THE SETTINGS BUTTON

4. Click Copy Course

5. Fill out the Copy Course Form (be sure to provide a unique name for this instance of the course)

6. Click Create Course

Canvas will then begin the automated process of copying the course to a new shell within your account. Please note, it may take several hours for your course to appear in your Dashboard, but usually it takes only 5-10 minutes. 

Once you have access to your new course shell, begin the expansion of course content.

I CANNOT LOCATE THE SETTINGS.  HOW DO I ACCESS A NEW COURSE SHELL?

1 Solution
ysmalls
Community Champion

Hello  @snunnjo1 ,

The steps listed in your post are correct but if you don't see the "Settings" option on your course navigation then two things come to mind either your institute has removed this access from all users or your role in the course does not have the access to "settings".

I would say reach out to your local LMS admin or Tech support and they can give you better guidance.

Have a great day.

View solution in original post

0 Likes