cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cyoung

Copying A Module

Jump to solution

Can the contents of a module be easily copied into your course more than once? For example, if I share something in Commons, it will allow me to bring it into the course only one time. If I wanted to build off of that original module each week, is there a way to copy it multiple times rather than build the module over again each week.

Thanks!

Tags (1)
1 Solution
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@cyoung ​, yes, you can definitely do this. The best way I know is to copy the Module(s) you want back into the same course using the Course Import tool - How do I import content from another Canvas course? The big thing you would want to remember is that after selecting the course you are currently in, make sure and check the "Select specific content" button. You will then be able to select the specific Module or Modules you want to copy back into your course. I just double-checked all of this and it worked perfectly! The only real issue is that if you want multiple copies of the same Module you couldn't do it all at one time.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

4 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@cyoung ​, yes, you can definitely do this. The best way I know is to copy the Module(s) you want back into the same course using the Course Import tool - How do I import content from another Canvas course? The big thing you would want to remember is that after selecting the course you are currently in, make sure and check the "Select specific content" button. You will then be able to select the specific Module or Modules you want to copy back into your course. I just double-checked all of this and it worked perfectly! The only real issue is that if you want multiple copies of the same Module you couldn't do it all at one time.

Hope this helps!

scottdennis
Community Team
Community Team

Hello  @cyoung ​,

In addition to employing the technique Kona describes you might also want to review   and

shapcr

Here is a question I'm hoping to have answered.  I have deleted a module from one course and replaced that module with an updated one from another.  When it loads, there are numbers next to some of the assignments, discussion, etc...  When I delete them, they come back again when re-loading the page.  Any suggestions.

@shapcr ​, deleting the module doesn't delete the contents, but importing the module brings the contents in with it. So if you already had an assignment or discussion with a specific name, when you imported the updated module, the import process created duplicates, and will append a number next to any item with the same name as an existing item. Navigate directly to the Assignments and Discussions tabs to find and delete the duplicates; once you have done that, you can re-name the items to remove the numerical designations.