Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kedgecomb
Community Champion

Copying Discussions - Open but Locked?

Jump to solution

Good afternoon,

I was curious if anyone had experienced issues with copying discussions from one course to another.  I have seen two instances where an instructor copied the discussion from a previous course into the new semester course.  The instructor edited the dates to reflect the new semester.  However, when students navigate to the copied discussion, it states the "topic is locked."  After careful review, the dates and times were verified that they should be open (correct date, year, time, etc.).  The workaround has been to create a new discussion in the course and copy the discussion content into the new discussion and add the dates and times again.  So...the copied discussions appear open to the teacher, but students cannot post because they are "locked."

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Sylvia_Ami
Community Contributor

Just thought I'd answer my own question. I called Instructor Support about this and the solution is to go to the discussion, click on the gear icon, and click Open for Comments (see image below). This did the trick. I hope it helps anyone else with a similar issue. Thank you Canvas Help Support!

Discussion, Open for Comments

View solution in original post

15 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@kedgecomb ​, this is the closest I've seen about discussions not opening - Quirks in Available From in discussions. Yet, it doesn't sound like the exact same issue. My recommendation is to submit a ticket to Canvas Support and see if they can figure out what's going on!

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@kedgecomb ​, there's a detailed description in this feature idea (" modifiedtitle="true" title="Discussions: Improve the 'close for comments' behavior so it is consis...) that sounds very much like what you've described. The extra element in the feature idea is that the instructor had manually closed the discussion for comments in the old course, and later copied it to the new course and adjusted the dates--but somehow the manual close persisted across the course copy. What do you think?

kedgecomb
Community Champion

stefaniesanders​,

This is somewhat on the right track!  Thank you!  However, the previous discussion were not manually closed for comments in either semester.  The instructor sets the availability dates and let's Canvas do all the work.  Very deceiving!

snugent
Community Champion

Hi  @kedgecomb ​

I do have a ticket in the system that is pending. You can reference my ticket if you submit a ticket. It is CASE#01056470. I have been working with our CSM on this. I don't think the support people truly understand the issue. I have never been able to reproduce this issue. The instructor just ended up removing all the Available From dates. He was ok with doing that but I know that this would be unacceptable to some faculty. Hopefully if they get more cases they can track this down. I agree it is very deceiving!

kedgecomb
Community Champion

Hi snugent​,

Thank you for the ticket reference and case number.  I am glad your faculty member is flexible with the solution.  Unfortunately, I have a different situation.  I may try to re-create, but I am skeptical.  If I see it again, I will put in a ticket.  Thanks for the info!

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Let us know what you find out from Canvas Support!

Sylvia_Ami
Community Contributor

Today, one of our teachers has a course where the discussions are doing exactly the same thing as  @kedgecomb ‌ described.  What was the response to your case #01056470?

Sylvia_Ami
Community Contributor

Just thought I'd answer my own question. I called Instructor Support about this and the solution is to go to the discussion, click on the gear icon, and click Open for Comments (see image below). This did the trick. I hope it helps anyone else with a similar issue. Thank you Canvas Help Support!

Discussion, Open for Comments

View solution in original post

@Sylvia_Ami , did support happen to mention WHY this is happening all of a sudden? This is the third case I've seen in the Community and we've had it happen on our campus as well. Just trying to figure out what's causing this to happen in the first place.