cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mao0024
Community Member

Copying a Canvas course from another instructor

Jump to solution

How can I copy a previous semester's Canvas course from another instructor?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @mao0024  Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thank you for posting your question.  I can think of a few different ways that this could be handled:

• If your school is using Canvas Commons, the instructor could share the entire course to Canvas Commons.  (How do I share a course to Commons?)  Then, once the course has been shared to Commons, you could then import the shared course from Commons into your own course shell.  (How do I import and view a Commons resource in Canvas?)
  • Another option would be if the local Canvas administrators at your school could allow you access temporarily to the instructor's course.  You'd need to be enrolled in the course with the Teacher role.  Then, you would log back into your course and use the Course Import Tool to import content from the other course into your course.  (How do I copy content from another Canvas course using the Course Import tool?)
  • The final option you'd have is to speak with a local Canvas administrator at your school who would be able to copy the course from the other instructor to your own course.  You'd need to give the Canvas administrator your course number along with the course number of the other instructor's course.

I hope one of these options will be of help to you, McKenzie.  Please let me know if you have any questions about this...thanks!

View solution in original post

2 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @mao0024  Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thank you for posting your question.  I can think of a few different ways that this could be handled:

• If your school is using Canvas Commons, the instructor could share the entire course to Canvas Commons.  (How do I share a course to Commons?)  Then, once the course has been shared to Commons, you could then import the shared course from Commons into your own course shell.  (How do I import and view a Commons resource in Canvas?)
  • Another option would be if the local Canvas administrators at your school could allow you access temporarily to the instructor's course.  You'd need to be enrolled in the course with the Teacher role.  Then, you would log back into your course and use the Course Import Tool to import content from the other course into your course.  (How do I copy content from another Canvas course using the Course Import tool?)
  • The final option you'd have is to speak with a local Canvas administrator at your school who would be able to copy the course from the other instructor to your own course.  You'd need to give the Canvas administrator your course number along with the course number of the other instructor's course.

I hope one of these options will be of help to you, McKenzie.  Please let me know if you have any questions about this...thanks!

View solution in original post

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Hello,  @mao0024 ‌,  @chofer ‌ has given you excellent solutions (thanks, Chris!). Another way you might be able to accomplish this, if you and the fellow instructor both have access to a large file sharing solution such as Dropbox, is to ask the instructor to export the course as an .imscc file (How do I export a Canvas course?). You could then import the course file into a blank course shell How do I import a Canvas course export package?).