cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
matt_hawkins
Community Participant

Copying a course

Jump to solution

I have just copied  a course and now have a problem. The copied course pages are followed by a hypen and either a 2 or a 3. For example:

Course Introduction-2

I have tried to edit the "-2"  out of the newly copied pages, but as soon as I leave the Modules page and then return ... these hypenated numbers are back. It is impossible to edit these numbers OUT of my new course.

If anyone can help me with this, I would appreciate it.

Sincerely,

Matt in Pennsylvania

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@matt_hawkins ​, the only time I've seen this is when I've tried to name multiple pages the same thing. The way that Canvas handles pages doesn't allow for pages being named the same thing so it adds the -1, -2, etc. The only way to change this is to change the name of the Page to something that isn't duplicated. That's why I'll have "Wk 1: readings, Wk 2: readings," etc in my course.

Ad as for why it initially worked in your class and didn't show up until you copis it, I'm not sure. In the past the numbers for added immediately to your page and so I've avoided it for so long I haven't checked recently.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

4 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@matt_hawkins ​, the only time I've seen this is when I've tried to name multiple pages the same thing. The way that Canvas handles pages doesn't allow for pages being named the same thing so it adds the -1, -2, etc. The only way to change this is to change the name of the Page to something that isn't duplicated. That's why I'll have "Wk 1: readings, Wk 2: readings," etc in my course.

Ad as for why it initially worked in your class and didn't show up until you copis it, I'm not sure. In the past the numbers for added immediately to your page and so I've avoided it for so long I haven't checked recently.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

matt_hawkins
Community Participant

Thank you!!

pete1
Community Contributor

Hi  @matt_hawkins 

I used to come across this issue when copying from templates within Canvas, and also when copying from Commons. It used to confuse me as sometimes it would update the page with the new format, and other times it would add it as a "number 2".

I have been utilising Commons now for probably 6 months, after initial teething issues, this no longer occurs.
I am sure there is a very good explanation on why some pages would update why others would be renamed, but I can not provide it!

matt_hawkins
Community Participant

Peter,

I don't know why either, but I have figured out, with Kona Jones's help, that the annoying hyphentated numbers go away if I simply change the wording ever so slightly. So, for instance, I now change an "and" to a "&" and it fixes the problem.

Thanks,

Matt