cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stevec
Community Contributor

Copying course calendar to new term without having things all bunched together?

Jump to solution

I've been using the "copy course calendar" feature for a few years now, but every time I do, the dates get horribly screwed up. For example, copying a Fall course to Winter Term, I end up with nothing on days that correspond with Thanksgiving Break, there's nothing on the last three days of class, and assignments for Week 4 are overlapped in a very confusing way. It generally takes me a few hours to sort everything out. Is there a way to specify what holidays exist in a particular term so that the calendar will copy over accurately?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@stevec , the date adjustment feature of the course copy feature is helpful, but it does have limitations. One of those limitations is exactly what you've noted, namely that one cannot modify the date fields to accommodate a different semester schedule (Thanksgiving or a spring break, or a 14-week semester instead of a 15-week semester, just to name a few). Many instructors like to use the auto adjust feature; personally, because my school's trimester setup always requires exceptions, I have always just entered my due dates manually. With three or four assignments due every week, and having to adjust three dates for each assignment, I've still found it more straightforward than using the date setting feature and then having to go back and make adjustments.

I noticed that a feature idea for the ability to accommodate breaks and schedule exceptions in the course copy process will be open for voting in just a few days, and I recommend that you follow it, contribute your use case, and up-vote it when it becomes available for voting:   Also, in the commentary surrounding a similar, now-archived feature idea,  @James  provided a workaround that you might like.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@stevec , the date adjustment feature of the course copy feature is helpful, but it does have limitations. One of those limitations is exactly what you've noted, namely that one cannot modify the date fields to accommodate a different semester schedule (Thanksgiving or a spring break, or a 14-week semester instead of a 15-week semester, just to name a few). Many instructors like to use the auto adjust feature; personally, because my school's trimester setup always requires exceptions, I have always just entered my due dates manually. With three or four assignments due every week, and having to adjust three dates for each assignment, I've still found it more straightforward than using the date setting feature and then having to go back and make adjustments.

I noticed that a feature idea for the ability to accommodate breaks and schedule exceptions in the course copy process will be open for voting in just a few days, and I recommend that you follow it, contribute your use case, and up-vote it when it becomes available for voting:   Also, in the commentary surrounding a similar, now-archived feature idea,  @James  provided a workaround that you might like.

View solution in original post

I agree Stephanie:

While I was excited when I saw the date copy/adjustment feature when we first moved to Canvas, I also no longer use it for all the reasons you noted. It is just easier for me to enter the dates fresh each term. However, this also prompted me to vote for the feature request to permit all dates to be set using the Assignments index page. We get that one, and life will be good!

KLM