Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
albert_vanderme
Community Participant

Copying discussions replies to a new course

Jump to solution

Hi all

I have a faculty member where I work who has decided they want to move a discussion from one course to another, and retain the replies within that discussion.

However obviously when you export or import from another course you are able to bring across the discussion post but none of the students replies copy over.

Is there a way to maintain the students replies when they are copied over/imported?

Thanks for any help.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@albert_vanderme ​...

Unfortunately, none that I know of.  Discussion replies are tied to a student's account, so if those replies were copied from one course to another, then those student names would also have to be in the course...which is not what you would want...especially because those students have already taken the course.

The only work-around I'm coming up with at the moment would be to copy/paste the discussion text you want to share in another course into a Word document and (possibly) hide the names of the students.  It's not an ideal solution (and certainly not a quick one, either), but I think it would accomplish what you are ultimately wanting to do.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@albert_vanderme ​...

Unfortunately, none that I know of.  Discussion replies are tied to a student's account, so if those replies were copied from one course to another, then those student names would also have to be in the course...which is not what you would want...especially because those students have already taken the course.

The only work-around I'm coming up with at the moment would be to copy/paste the discussion text you want to share in another course into a Word document and (possibly) hide the names of the students.  It's not an ideal solution (and certainly not a quick one, either), but I think it would accomplish what you are ultimately wanting to do.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

I was thinking the same thing about either copying and pasting or doing a screen shot. Otherwise, no, discussion posts are not designed to move from course to course.

albert_vanderme
Community Participant

Well the students are in the other course as well.

They've set it up that one course is sort of a discussion oriented environment and another course which deals with the learning journey/content. But some discussions were created in the latter and they wish to move those into the former discussion oriented course.

Would this work then if the discussions were copied over from one to the other if all students are within said course?

Hi  @albert_vanderme ​...

No...because discussion replies are housed in each course, and they do not carry over into other courses (as  @kona ​ has also confirmed).

albert_vanderme
Community Participant

Ok cool, just wanted to double check.

Thank you very much for the help.